1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whose bass is covered in pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, the "single pickup" thread is here on the front page, so I'm wondering- who else (like me) has a bass with 3+ pickups in it? Show me da pitchers.

PS- This isn't a club. I don't care enough about this to make a club. I just wanna see pics.

2. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Here's mine. I've since added a pickguard and chrome ashtray, but I don't have pics of that.

0f94_3.

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I've always wondered, how do you use a baritone bass?* I mean, can you play regular EADG songs on it? Is it only useful in a band setting?

* thats what it is right? :ninja:

4. Is that a Dano? I'm guessing it's a baritone?

Looks cool :D

5. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    ROON, find yourself the "short-scale six-string" club thread on here.

In short, it's not a baritone, although mine started life that way- a baritone is usually tuned B-B. Short-scale sixers (or bass VI or tic-tac bass) are tuned E-E, and you can use it just like any other bass. The bottom four strings are the same as yours.

edit: Yes, it's a Dano Hodad. Like I said, the model is a baritone, but mine is not a baritone anymore, since I strung it up as a VI. I know that's mildly confusing.

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry dude, I was grouping your bass with the Bass VI and the like. But I always thought they were called baritones. :meh:
    That's pretty cool that you can use it with any song. :) Is there any advantage to having a guitarish bass?

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    bootsy is into lots of pups.

[​IMG]

Bootsy_portrait.

8. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    ROON - Well, you get the two higher strings, which is cool for chording and "lead" work. And you can use it in the role of bass, baritone, or even guitar, depending on your EQ, pup settings, and technique.

San - Bootsy is also into ultra sparkly stuff. So am I- maybe I should make another thread about that. "Show me your most garishly sparkly basses".

9. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I always read that if the pickups are too close they tend to cancel each other out?

G-3

ralphejl.

greenday.

Super rare T bird
    bird_VII_in_a_bar.

10. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    "Why I oughtta!"

That T-bird is badass, though. Dunno about pickups cancelling each other out. If that's true that recent Spinal Tap bass wouldn't make any sound at all.

11. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    [​IMG]
    I would call that covered!

12. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Never heard that one. But when you have two single coil pu's and each is wound in the reverse direction from the other (giving you two opposite polarities), one will cancel the hum of the other single coil. That's why a Jazz bass with single coils gets noisier when you solo either pickup - when they are dialed to the same volume, they cancel each other's hum. The hum can also be limited by good shielding, insulation and grounding.

I'd have to guess adding more pickups multiplies the need for really correct insulation and grounding even if the pu's are all humbuckers themselves.

13. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    hahaha, are you serious? how do you select between pickups on that thing?

gimme a sound clip if you can...

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I think manring's hyperbass has piezos all along the neck.

15. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    hard to say, just hold on for dear life!

16. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That thing is awesome. Looks like it even has a couple guitar pickups.

17. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I know it's true with microphones (phase cancellation), but don't know how true it is with pickups.

Craig

18. I think the bigger concern, rather than cancelation, would be the magnetic pull on the strings from all those pickups. Would probably sounds pretty weird. Might deaden your strings or kill your sustain.

19. You can't really cancel out an entire fundamental note with multiple pickups, but you can cancel out overtones (harmonics). That's why humbuckers sound darker than single-coil pickups (certain high overtones are getting canceled out) and why mixing multiple pickups makes the sound have less of a distinct character than using just a single pickup.

Look at the location of the pickups. What's happening is that certain overtones that cause the string to vibrate in one direction on one pickup are actually causing it to move in the opposite direction on another pickup. When these two signals are mixed together, that particular overtone is out of phase between the pickups, and phase cancellation takes place. It's usually not total cancellation, but it's enough that the unique tones created by each pickup are somewhat reduced when mixing them together.

I'm not being negative about this. There are certain times when, as a bass player, you don't want a strong unique overtone character to your tone - for example, most slap players don't use Precision basses, because the presence of that 2nd pickup not only adds a different character, but it also takes the edge off of the character of the neck pickup.

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Gotta love Derek Smalls.