Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whose Line is it Anyway?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gottawalk, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I've been getting into that show more and more. Lots of funny stuff there. I'm curious, though...
    Seems to me that as fast as a comedian can think, there's stuff there that IMO, just couldn't be made up on the spot! Especially the songs. I'm thinking that some of the show is not necessarily rehearsed, but prompted before the show so the guests can be a little prepared for what some of the topics are. What do you guys think?

All things considered, either way it's a funny show!

2. That's a very good question, and I wonder the same thing. I suspect that the material is prepared for.

edit: According to Wikipedia, multiple tapings of each act are taken, and the best one is aired.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think it's a great show!! Have you be able to catch the newer one where there are infront of a "green screen"????? Find them and watch them, they are hilarious!!!

:D

4. Yeah! It's pretty funny what they come up with! :D

5. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i used to be a huge fan when i was younger based soley on the old brittish episodes in syndication on comedy central

then it came to the states on abc i was still a big fan...although it's been a long time since i've seen any episodes

-jimbo

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I think the older British episodes are far superiour.

Ryan Styles was always on the show even then, but now it seems like we're seeing far too much of the same guys.

I really miss the large guy who was on the british show occasionally, that dude was halarious....can't remember his name though.

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Yeah I used to be a huge fan of the british episodes on comedy central. I never got into the american version.

I always wondered about the songs too, but improv is a skill just like anything else. Just like you wouldn't get up and solo without having an idea of what you're gonna do, they do the same. It's like Second city and stuff like that.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Agreed. I thought almost everyone on the older British series was better than almost everyone who's on there now. Wayne Brady is a rare exception. They really can be a great laugh, and there's something about British humor that does it for me.

9. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

The show has also dumbed down for the american audience.

There used to be many 'skits' involving doing something in the form of a particular writer.

I recall one fellow on there...can't remember his name either, he had black hair and.....well he came across as probably being quite a pervert when not on a national(then multinational) broadcast... He was on there a good bit

10. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yup, the older ones were much better. Does anybody else find Drew Carey not funny at all - what a bad host, he ruins it every time he tries to get in on the action (and his singing is atrocious).

12. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I liked drew carey and the drew carey show when it came out at first.

Then after a few seasons it just became....bleh

Clive Anderson was a better host

Drew was the fat kid who just couldn't quite keep up

13. comedy snobs

both are good, both have different forms of humour, enjoy them for what they are.

Then again I find everything funny, pretty much anywas. Live life like a joke.

Sorry about this post, still waiting for that fae reconition thing to work

14. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    clive anderson rox0rs my box0rs!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 :hyper:

seriously--awesome host

-jimbo

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I didn't notice until just recently that Ryan Stiles is an executive producer for the American version.

Kind of explains why him and his good friend Colin are the two that are always there.

By the way, Colin > everyone else.

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Those guys just have the ability to think that fast on their feet. That's why they get the big bucks.

Plus, there's many years of experience at improv comedy to draw from.

It is set up to showcase an individual's particular skill however, Wayne Brady does the bulk of the song creation...Ryan Stiles does the bulk of the sound effects ect.

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    "Whose Line Is It Anyway? The improvisation show that makes other improv shows seem unrehearsed". - Clive Anderson

I loved how Mr. A. played the straight man on the show. He added an extra bit that Drew doesn't since Drew doesn't do the same role.

I also enjoyed Mr. A. and Greg Proops throwing barbs at each other when Greg would be on the show. Greg does an awesome Woody Allen BTW.

Too bad Steve Frost doesn't still show up. He wasn't as quick on his feet as Ryan, Colin or Greg but he was hilarious.