Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whose making the simplest pure tube bass amp?tu

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave251, Feb 6, 2004.

1. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I've got this crazy idea that the simplest circuits sound the best, and since tube circuits are generally simpler than SS...it begs the question. I don't care about LOUD, just strong enough for a coffehouse/small club room with a jazz drummer/piano and non obnoxious guitarist.....

2. Look around for an old Sunn 200S. Volume, bass, and treble with low/high switches and 80-100 watts.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    easy... George Alessandro and his Bassett Hound. George is all about the simple circuits yet stunning sound.

[​IMG]

only 60 watts, but plenty loud enough for any coffeehouse gig. just downright incredible all tube tone. and yea, doesnt hurt that its small and portable.

they are expensive, but not much more than other boutique pieces of gear. just give George a call, and i'm sure he'll hook you up.

FYI, i also own two of George's guitar amps, which are just as freakishly good.

4. FBT bass-50, 2x EL34, bass, volume, treble not so loud but a fantastic sound. very hard to find thou.
    KItty Hawk, 420w volume and toneknob, that´s all !

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    here's a pic of the inside of my old Black 'n Tan. its a guitar amp, but prolly not much different from what's in the BH.

clean, simple livin'.

[​IMG]