Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whose playing an old style flat neck Sadowsky 5 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 9, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The first Sadowsky i ever played was a 24 fret 5 string fretless with one of those older style completley flat necks and from that moment i fell in love with Sadowskys :hyper: :bassist: . I just wanted to see if any of you guys here own one of these flat neck basses and how you think it compares to the newer design neck profile.

2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I was told that the older necks were chunkier than the new necks. Is this not true?

I love the Metro necks. Is this the same as the NYC's?

3. MAJOR METAL

I think it was only the 24 fret neck that had the competely flat neck design.All the Sadowskys i have played have had very fast playing and comfortable necks.Every neck feels diffrent but i think it is the basic neck shape from Metro to the NYC line.

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    have a friend that owned the 24-5 NYC and sold it when he felt the Metro M5-24.

He said it is thinner and feels better than his 1998 NYC 24-5

5. MAJOR METAL

The neck design i am reffering to were pre 96.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The old 24F Sadowskys had flat-radius necks? I never knew that.

I tend to like flatter fingerboards (Warwick Streamer Stage 1!), but haven't tried completely flat since noodling on a classical guitar.

7. MAJOR METAL

I dont think i had ever felt a more flatter neck then the old Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string necks. :hyper:

8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

The Warwick Streamer Stage I's have a 14" radius. The Sadowsky's have a 12" radius. They are very close.

I own several Warwicks including a Stage I-5 that I just sold. When I picked up the metro 24-5 at a local shop it hit me that they feel about the same EXCEPT for the fact that the Metro's neck profile was much thinner/less bulky.

When my rep at Warwick suggested the wide 5 necks (20mm) I was skeptical. Once I used it I never looked back.

Unfortunately, for Warwick, I picked up Rogers stuff. That is why I am officially switching to Sadowsky. They are just insane. I am blown away by just how good they are.

9. MAJOR METAL

In my humble opinion Sadowsky necks are much more easy to get around and play then Warwicks necks plus Sadowskys neck balances perfect with the body thats something i never found in a Warwick. When i got my first Sadowsky my Warwick Infinity took a permenant vaction then sold to fund the other Sadowsky dreams. :bassist:

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

This is absolutely correct. They have similar fretboard radii but the Sadowsky's are less bulky and MUCh easier to get around. I forgot to mention the balance thing and that is also very true.

I am just beyond impressed with Sadowsky. I can't ee using anything else at this point.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned a '92 24F5 and the neck was very similar to my '01 24F5 (non graphite).

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey Nino, which neck does mine (your old one) have?

13. MAJOR METAL

Nino

Where do you find older Sadowsky's like that?.