Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whose records would you buy without listening first

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JMX, Jan 18, 2004.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm sitting here @ 1 AM with no small quantitity of alcohol in my system :D and this question struck me: Whose records do you buy blindly without listening because you know every album will sweep you off your feet?

My answer to that is: Everything that Devin Townsend will ever record.

What's yours?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well. I guess more than half of my records have been bought without any listening first. Since I don't have broadband and no record store close to me carries any titles I'm intrested in, and I don't have any friends (in the vicinity at least) with the same taste in music, mail-order without prior audition is pretty much my only choice. :meh:

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I went out and bought a couple hip hop albums a couple weeks ago without having heard them first, I had heard previous albums from the same artists, so I figured they'd be good to, and they were, very.

Also if the price is right, like a couple bucks for an EP or something, I usually pick it up, if I've heard the name of the group before at least.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I buy a lot of my albums without listening to them first, either if they are from a band I trust (eg Opeth, Dream Theater, Dave Matthews Band) or because of their reviews on All Music Guide, metaljudgement.com etc.

Often times I will buy albums from bands I have never heard before to see what they are like - sometimes they are winners that you might not have otherwise heard.

I beleive I have also bought a couple of CDs because I thought the cover looked cool (Delierium's Karma was one like that) and have then gone on to like the band. Whimsical....not me :)

5. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    I'm a poor colledge student, so noone.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Joe Strummer

Mike Park

King Django

Vic Ruggerio and Dave Hillyard

There are a few others, but those five are the only ones that I intrinsically know are quality. I read All Music for reviews, but, in this case, that's cheating.

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Rush, Dream Theater and Michael Manring.

RHCP could be in the list but after buying "By the Way" they´re not there anymore.

8. I did it with "The Thirteenth Step" by APC. I had never even heard any of their songs, but I just knew it'd be good, and I was not dissapointed.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Parliament/G. Clinton/Bootsy/Funkadelic...

10. If Fiona Apple put out a new record, I'd go get it right now without listening first..

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Primus, Opeth, Monster Magnet, Mr. Bungle, I'm sure there are more.

Opeth I had never heard before in my entire life, I just heard rave reviews about them and bought Blackwater Park.

Primus, well they are Primus.

Monster Magnet I've just decided that they are one of the greatest bands ever. Everytime I listen to the one album I own by them, Dopes to Infinity, it amazes me that an album can be that good.

Mr Bungle has disbanded, but if they put out a new album, I'd buy it. Every album they've put out has been different than the others. But still good, and still Mr. Bungle.

12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Ben Folds, Matthew Good (Band or solo), Opeth, Rush, Thursday and Thrice come to mind most immediately.

And Our Lady Peace would be on there if it weren't for "Gravity". Now I need to hear at least two songs off anything they release....though I'd probably buy it eventually anyway.

13. AC/DC, Primus, Dream Theater, RATM, Audioslave

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Dave Holland

15. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    RHCP, Rolling Stones, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Primus, I'd say Sublime if they were still around, but I just don't think the Long Beach Dub Allstars are as good as Sublime was with Brad Nowell in front. Rage Against The Machine, Oysterhead if they ever do another one, Lost Prophets, Maroon 5, Finger Eleven, Hendrix :D ... that's about it for now:bassist:

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Dave Holland (another vote)
    Richard Thompson
    Charlie Haden
    Lucinda Williams
    Gillian Welch
    Cassandra Wilson
    Steve Swallow
    Carla Bley

Sorry, no rock guys...been burned too many times over the years. Well, maybe King Crimson.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Incognito
    Omar
    Frank McCombs

18. Ditto.

19. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    any 24-7 spyz album (yeah they are back togather).

20. anything RATM or audioslave.
    i agree with papersen, i would have rhcp, but i really don't like their new cds.
    but thats about it.
    i liked linkin park until they put out that dumb remix cd. oh...burn. i probably won't get meteora either
    Charlie