Whose the least proficient Bass player (solo or in a band) to have big success?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sultan Of Swing, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sultan Of Swing

Sultan Of Swing

May 31, 2002
    Whose the least proficient bass player out there to have major success

eg: Only ever plucks the top string yet solo or in a band has sold 10,000,000 records.
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Why do I think that there are going to be a bunch of replies that say "Mark Hoppus"? :D

And why do I think this thread is going to be eventually closed? :D
  3. Sid Viscous from the Sex Pistols. he had absolutely no talent but he's a legend.
  4. FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    Nikki Sixx
  5. I was gonna say the guy from Van Halen but sid vicious is a better example....
  6. the dude from the goo goo dolls.. IMO
  7. Amadeus

Apr 16, 2002
    That would be Micheal Anthony. I like him, but it seems 98% of his stuff is nothing but 1/8th's.
  8. I can't believe that I'm the first to say Fieldy. This really should have been in the "Bassists" forum though.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sid, he REALLY sucks.
  10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Dee Dee Ramone.

Most "Punk" Basslines are incredibly simple and usually pretty lame (follow the bouncing guitar).
    I'm sure that remark will probablly stir up the hardcore hornet's nest!
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think Sid is right. Punk legend, but he was often unplugged during shows, because he was so horrid.
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Way too many successful stiffs to choose one.
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    ***Traditional Indian sitar music playing***

I have a vision.....

Yes, it's becoming clearer now....

This thread will soon be closed......
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to act like the "Den Mother" here, just adding to the discussion - It's not uncommon that the bass playing you see/hear doesn't truly represent the skill that the bassist really possesses.

Often, they seem "fundamental" because it serves the music better, (country/western bassists espec.), and/or because the vocalist/guitarist is supposed to be the "whole show."

And I know from "the old days" big auditoriums/ halls can force you to simplify your bass lines so they don't sound like a multi-note mess through the rumble of the PA banks. In the studio, the guys behind the desk may advise you to lay back, too. Given the chance to step out in the spotlight or play in a more casual situation, many bassists who don't seem to be "all that" can actually smoke.

Enough preaching, yes - some names with fame really do suck, so back to the subject - Whomever that joke is playing bass in The Strokes really needs to learn where his frets are!!!
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    He said bassist, not percussionist. :p :D
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm am tottaly with rickbass, Just because a bassist plays something simple, doesnt mean it's bad. heck, all of you "don't eq the amp" "Play one note every song" people should know this! Thats why i said sid sucked, he was horrible, live, and even in the studio! Sloppy, junk player.
  17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  18. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah i agree.. I'm not saying he is a terrible bass player.. he is simple but at least he can stay on rythem... but God does he get on my nerves. I can't stand the way he poses with his bass
  19. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    i would have to go with sid vicious cuz he stunk some bones(good think he was charismatic)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.