Whose town sucks the most???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 19, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My town, I'll leave the name of this fair town anonymous, is the single worst town for live music in the whole entire world. Don't believe me, here goes:

late 80s- Tommy Lee is arrested for mooning the crowd at our arena. The Crue vowed never to come back. They haven't.

mid 90s- right before making it big, the Goo Goo Dolls had a club gig in my town. 8 people were in attendance. most of them left before the show was over. the others demanded their money back.

mid 90s- 7 Mary 3 is slated to play an outdoor concert on a parade field. So few tickets were bought, they held the event in a local rec. center. Less than 50 people showed. This was during their peak.

2000- James Brown plays the arena here. Only the floor is packed. Every other seat is empty.

2000- Nickelback comes to play a club here. Less than 50 come. The same club has shut the door on live music and is now turning over a huge profit playing hip hop dance music.

Sad but true. Do I have any competition???

2. Boring place you got there. If I ever move, it wont be there ;)
  3. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Yeah, what town is that? I wanna make sure I don't get anywhere near it!
  4. wow... I _ALMOST_ feel sorry for you... in my town there are 300 people so you can guess there are not alot of showes here... so we can´t even have mistakes 'cause no one wants to play here!! :mad:

btw: shouldn´t this thread be in off topic?

ps. this post was not supposed to bash anyone..
  5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    At least your town has some decent bands show up...

We can't anybody to come within 100 miles of this place [Houghton, MI], which is strange because this is a college town and you'd think that there would be market for it. On the other hand, it is a pretty remote location.

I have to drive 5 hours south to milwaukee to see/hear anything.
  6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    The acts won't come here anymore. Period. Nickelback I think was probably the last straw. People here cannot support local music. However, if you own a dance club here, you are in hog heaven , profit wise. When I was in college in a small Ga. town near the coast, we had all kinds of bands and artisits popping up, and the WHOLE damn college community would SUPPORT these shows. Bands like Drivin N Cryin would frequent our town, and we even got older country acts like David Allen Coe (now he is a badass).

Anyone else's town cater more toward meat markets than music venues?
  7. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    JWC, what town are you from?

The music scene has picked up a little here in Buffalo. But now there's this rivalry between bands that play in the original only clubs downtown and the original/cover scene in the suburbs. It's a constant put down from one band to the next. Then they complain that there is no unified scene. I just sit back and laugh at the imature BS. Who cares?

As far as major touring acts go, we get our share, mostly in the summer at outdoor venues. During winter most acts pass thru and play either Rochester or Toronto.
  8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    You are lucky!!I have to drive for 8 hours (And I don´t even have a driving license so I can´t anyway)or drive for an hour to get to the airport so I can go. And bands come to iceland MAYBE 2 times a year...
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I live in Toronto which is a very cool town ( well winter can be a drag) and we get all the major tours here. But if there is one disappointment its on the Blues scene. We get the big guns - BB, Buddy Guy and "some" of the second tier acts but they are very infrequent - eg: Duke Robillard,Rod Piazza,Deborah Colman,Tab Benoit etc.A lot of these acts make to places like Buffalo, Syracuse and Detroit but don't make the short drive across the border to Toronto.The Canadian dollar would certainly explain some of that though.
  10. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    uummm...like a month before they became famous sevendust played here...but nothing kool since then[Nacogdoches, Tx]
  11. reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    you people are lucky that you have more than a pizza shop! cause thats all I have. I have no friends in this town. I have to drive an hour just to buy a CD. Guitar shop FORGET IT. I would have to drive 5 hours to the nearest guitar shop.
  12. hmmm... my town: no pizza shop, have to drive 1 hour to buy a cd and 6 - 8 hours to the nearest guitar shop... so don´t tell me your town sucks!
  13. snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    <p>hahahahaha....Big gun-BB=BB gun....lol.......o my i got too much fun outa that.....shoot......
  14. Your town sucks? My town has a population of 30, plus cows. Needless to say we don't have a guitar shop, or anywhere for live music. The closest thing we have to any kind of business is a post office. It's open two hours a day.
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I live in San Francisco. I have no complaints.
  16. Geez....and I though Kansas City sucked
  17. If Canto-pop is your kinda thing, then you'd be in heaven here in Hong Kong. I'm only complaining because no one ever comes here. Ricky Martin was here about a week or 2 ago, and before him, the Cranberries were here about 4 or 5 years ago. Other than that, nothing.
  18. dan a

dan a

Oct 6, 2000
    I live in a small city in Va.(see my profile).
    The Flecktones played here in May. Thats is all
    I needed for about a year. The place was
    packed!! Vic was awsome! Everbody had a wonderful time. The club thang is a little slow. Maybe the mad mothers
    have something to do with that.....who knows.