1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whut I done Friday

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Fell by Sofia's, cause of a confluence of three people I know playing there - Mike Kanan, Sean Smith and Hyland Harris. I been knowing Hyland for about 10 years now (he and my girlfriend are senior students at the same tai chi school) but had never heard him play. It turned into somewhat of a bassists conventions, Philip Sirois (who posts here) fell by as did Ratzo Harris.

Trio sounded great, the last time I heard Sean was when we were on the same bill at a HIGHLIGHTS IN JAZZ concert (about 10 years ago) and he was playing a Kay, his new bass is a carved Romanian bass that has a wonderful warm sound and plays "like buttah" (says Ratzo). I sat in for a couple, Ratzo sat in for one (16th note playing mofo).

Sean has an unbelievably big ear, there were a couple of things that Mike called that he didn't actually know but heard what was going on by the end of the first chorus (if not when Mike played the intro by himself).

Lotsa fun.