Why 10s, not 12s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Why are most big bass cabs 4x10s, not 4x12s like guitar cabs? It seem like bass cabs should have 12s because of the lower frequencies, and vice versa.
  2. ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden

That topic has actually been on before.
    Check out a topic with the name "Why are there few 12" loaded bass cabs"

good luck!

cheers ulf/
  3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Keep in mind that guitar and bass/PA speakers are very different in design. I love my 12" equipped Epifani cabs.
  4. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I think part of the answer is that 12" bass drivers generally require more cabinet volume than 10" drivers (unlike their guitar speaker counterparts) to get a good low end response. The old Fender Bassman 100 speaker was a 4x12 cabinet, and when you say "big", this is closer to it: I'm talking 40"x30"x17" and at least 130 lbs., I think. To risk oversimplifying, this type of cabinet would typically give very strong lows, but wouldn't have the "punch factor" of a 4x10 cabinet. Twelves certainly are legitimate bass drivers, but in my opinion, the current trend is a little away from deep boom and toward full-range balance - which tens are proving to give in a number of products. I'm still skeptical, however, that 10's give the "megabottom" of bigger drivers, which is why big venues often go to 15" and 18" drivers for their sound systems - sometimes in horn-loaded enclosures - for truly deep and powerful bass. Again, though, big drivers need big cabinets, and most bass players don't want to lug them around without a road crew.

- Mike