Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why 12's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockStar571, Dec 20, 2002.

1. it seems like everyone uses 12's anymore...why? what's the appeal of the 12? do you run it as a midrange speaker or more of a low frequency speaker?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's simply another tonal choice. 12" appear to throw more low end than 10" while having quicker/punchier response than 15" or 18". But that's a broad generalization with plenty of exceptions; it all depends on speaker type and cabinet design.

3. Another angle off this same line would be... why didn't anyone use 12's until more recently? A couple of years ago most bassists were playing through 10's and/or 15's, with a few choosing 8's or 18's. 12's were thought to be for guitar cab only.

I'm glad that someone finally decided to try 12's in ernest. They're all I'm playing through right now. Both my combo and head/cab have 12's and I really like the tone and quickness (as compared to the 15's I used to use).

4. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    i like the idea of using 10s and 15s for guitar,so why not 12s for bass?-
    ;)
    it's nice to see quality options flourish,since i'm just a beginner in both guitar and bass.i like to look at it as a way to customize the mix in a simpler way.i'm not much into FX so i try to stick to stuff like wood characteristics,pup type,tube tone,circuit,and of course,speaker type.
    i noticed Marshall offers a 4x12 to go with it's all tube bass head,though i'm not sure of the quality of the cab or the speaker type.i believe the cab has isolated the speakers into banks of two,but it's been a while since i looke at the rig on site.