1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Why 5 strings + 21 frets are perfect

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Matthew Fisher, Oct 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I know this isn't Wolfgang Van Pastorius, but I was fiddling around with some blue notes at the dusty end of the fingerboard, and it was fun to hear how the top 3 frets on the G string work against the open B, E, and A.

The first 3 lines just serve to get the chord tones for B7, A7, and E7 in your ear. On the 4th line, let the 3rd note in each of the first 2 bars ring until you play the next downbeat. Let the last note of all ring until the end of the line.

G|--------------------------|--------------0-----0--2--|--------------------------|--------------------------|
    D|--------------------------|-----------2-----2--------|--------------0-----0--2--|--------------0-----0--2--|
    A|--------------0-----0--2--|--0--0--4-----------------|-----------2-----2--------|-----------2-----2--------|
    E|-----------2-----2--------|--------------------------|--0--0--4-----------------|--0--0--4-----------------|
    B|--0--0--4-----------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

G|--------------------------|--------------0-----0--2--|--------------------------|--------------------------|
    D|--------------------------|-----------2-----2--------|--------------0-----0--2--|--------------0-----0--2--|
    A|--------------0-----0--2--|--0--0--4-----------------|-----------2-----2--------|-----------2-----2--------|
    E|-----------2-----2--------|--------------------------|--0--0--4-----------------|--0--0--4-----------------|
    B|--0--0--4-----------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

G|--------21----------------|--------19----------------|-----20-------------------|--------------------------|
    D|-----------20-------------|-----------18-------------|--------19----------------|--------------------------|
    A|--------------------------|--0-----------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|
    E|--------------------------|--------------------------|--0-----------------------|--------------------------|
    B|--0-----------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Ok- 5 strings with 21 frets are perfect because you can play a generic blues bassline similar to Crossfire in the open position with some high notes at the end? (which isn't hard to play on a 4 string either if you play the B part an octave up)

What am I missing here?

3. OK, so it was dopey, and like I said it wasn't Wolfgang Van Pastorius. I just enjoyed discovering that the top 3 frets on the top two strings harmonized well with the bottom 3 open strings. If it was of no interest to you, move along. I'd rather have no replies than you taking a dump on my desk, you know?

Brother Goose likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021