Why a rack setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretGrinder, Mar 22, 2001.

1. What are the advantages of a rack system? I know they're usually more powerful, but do most manufacturers make better (tonally) equipment for their rack systems? Or is the only good thing about them the versatility to "mix and match", with a few extra options like line-level effects loops as standard?
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    you often get better quality effects and its easier to carry around. Its always all hooked up and ready to go.
  3. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I think the answer is obvious -- BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL!!!

Actually, I think it's basically just to make it easier and safer to aggregate and transport gear.

I have a Peavey T-Max amp in an SKB rackcase along with a Furman Rackrider power conditioner. Makes it all self-contained and the case provides ruggedness (and handles!)
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I prefer rack systems because it makes upgrading your systym a bit easier. If you love the sound of your preamp or signal processor and decide you need more power you can just buy a new power amp and keep the rest of your gear intact.
  5. I am building an amp in rack mount cases. I have made the power amp in its own rack case and am close to finishing the pre-amp in its case.
    Thing is i don't actually have the RACK mount, so the cases will sit on top of each other like normal amps. Damn the things us bassists do for the look......:D

6. Merlin: You know how to build amps?
  7. Yes. I built a little stereo 15 Watt amp for school and hunted around for the correct circuit boards and put them together like a jigsaw puzzle and ended up with a 100 watt amp. Its not that hard. My Local electronics store had a 100 watt circuit board, i found a power supply, made the pre-amp from a magazine etc and dumped them into speparate rack cases for easy servicing.