1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why a Rick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimmy Bones, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Hey guys.

A local store in Waikiki recently got a Rick bass and a couple Rick guitars in, and I tried the bass out just because so many people here seem to like them.

I know diddly squat about them. It looks really cool, and the store guy said they were really hard to get, but when i played it in their amp room, I just didn't really like it. It felt funny, that metal piece felt like it was in the way, and I liked the tones I got better off my Schecter and my Epi.

So, what did I miss? Why wasn't it as godly an experience for me as it seems to be for everybody else?

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I just can’t get into the looks of a Rick...

but then again, I’m the only one I know who likes the looks of the MM Bongo. :meh:

3. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Rickenbacker basses are what they are. A neck through, (on the 4003) maple bass with Rick pups. That said, notable Rick players like Macca, Geddy and Chris Squire all have used them to get their sound. I really like Paul McCartney's Rick sound. They are somewhat unique in bass guitars. Not like a Fender for sure. But, not for everyone. I have also found that when I have played on them, some seemed kind of so so, while others felt and sounded really good. Just like lots of bass brands. They can be hard to come by, so finding a good one can be difficult. My 2 cents.

4. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Same thing here. Love the sturdy neck & the looks, but that unneccesary metal thang over the front pickup and strings is just a pain..
    Price is horrid too.

5. LOVE their sound- hate their price & availabilty!!! Quite a "middy" bass sound If u know wot I mean.... def. a sound all their own!

6. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

That unnecessary metal thang can be removed in about 5 minutes, just like the unecessary metal thangs over a J-bass bridge pup and bridge

7. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Don't be hating on Rickenbacker because of the metal thang. Every Ric player I know pulls that off (me included).

Personally, I love my Ric. It won't give me everything I need (that's why I also have a Musicman) but there are lots of songs when I really feel I need my Ric.

Mine's fretless but for a fretted I would put Rotos on, and if you want that growly classic sound you either a) play with a pick like Chris Squire or b) play aggressively like Geddy Lee. You also need to set the action very very low and keep the neck dead straight. Many Rics in shops are set up like P basses. Very bad.

Like I said I love my Ric and it always gets a big reaction when I pull it out.

8. Because you prefer the tones of other basses.

Does this do anything?

Just remember- playing a bass in a music shop solo is way different to the band context. They do have a different feel. (you can remove the pickup guard BTW) Some people don't dig it. I do.

9. And......I love the metal thing!
    :eek:

10. Man, you and Alvaro are the only two I've ever heard of who enjoy it. That thing blockades playing over the sweet spot! :crying:

11. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    Owned a Rick and liked it but IMO the current premium in price is not worth it. The Ric factory is releasing them slowly on purpose to make the price go up which makes them less attractive.

12. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I like the "metal thingy" as well.

13. For my two cents, the "metal" thingy is a pain. After removing it I play with my thumb resting on the bridge pickup itself and that is my spot. That being said, it is plastic. Rics are not for everyone, period. Some people will play them if they are built out of cardboard and rubber bands, others wouldn't take one for free and can't stand all the idiosyncracies that are part of the package. They are not really overpriced for what they are IMO, considering they are made in the US and of very high quality for an off the shelf bass (no comments about the stock bridge/tailpeice please! I know already) but that doesn't mean they are worth it to everyone.

14. k5pS

k5pS

Jul 11, 2006
    Philippines
    for curiosity's sake, what local store in waikiki were you reffering to?

When we visited, i remember Island Guitars having a brand new rick 4003. It was expensive so I didn't bother checking it out, lol

15. Didn't you notice the bongo and the rick was very similar and yet very different in shape... To me the new Rick is the Bongo.

Link of the difference and similarities http://i35.tinypic.com/24pe35k.jpg

16. Noob, interesting observation. I thought you were smokin crack at first, but I see what you mean after some thought. I bet back in the day the Ric caught the same sort of reaction as the bongos do now. Still don't like em, but I'll show more respect from now on.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    On my Rics "that metal thing" is part of the horseshoe pickup, I rest my palm on it so I can play right "over the sweet spot" which is between the pickups.

18. But i'll not purchase a rick neither a bongo soon because of the price. But i do like the feel of the two.

i dont take crack:bag:

19. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Yea, it was Island Guitars.

Don't think I'll be going back there again (despite them being the only Gibson dealer on Oahu) because their new guy, the big dude, kept following us around the store and staring at us like we were going to stuff a guitar down our pants.

20. Rics are most definitely a love it or hate it thing.

I love them to death, but they are definitely not for everybody.