Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Aguilar 112s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheAmpNerd, May 29, 2004.

1. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Can anyone tell me what is up with this cab?

I've seen so many of these for sale I've been wondering, do they really just don't cut the mustard or what?

And,

If these cabs are so great, when the bassists need more volume, why don't they just get another one so they have 2 x 12 rig? I also wonder what they are moving up to? They are going from a 1 x 12 to what?

I do hear that the Aguilar 2 x 12 cabs are IT. These are from
    a number of bass players and other folks who just say
    this is the cab to get. I wonder why then the 1 x 12 is lacking
    so much? Perhaps it is just that with the 2 x 12 cab design and
    speakers compliment, it just works out that this is where the
    magic is at.

Will any one please shed some light or harmonics on the
    situation?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Dude, since you are TheAmpNerd, this also should go to the Amps & Cabs forum: in Basses, you wont get much reply

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Amps...

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    thank you.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    They are cheap enough to just try. They have a particular sound and if it works for you great. They can sound great at home and get lost in the mix live. They fatten up anemic basses but are not capable of subtle dynamics that some people require and find in some of the higher end cabs. IMHO

6. First off, these cabs DO cut the mustard. They are loud, lightweight and deep. They also can handle lots of power, but unlike some other 1x12's, don't require it.

But, obviously they're not everyones cup-of-tea. They don't project as well as Berg's or Epi's and therefore won't put you as up-front in the mix. They're not as "modern" as Epi's or EA's either, but if you're into blues, country or gospel they might be perfect for you.