Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why all the "Bonus Footage???"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Apr 17, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Why do they put all that extra stuff in with DVD's?

I rent or buy a movie to see the "good takes" that make a movie good or "great!" I don't care about the "bonus footage" or "outakes". It seems to lose some mystique that makes movies "cool" or "special".

It's like getting "bonus" busted takes on a CD or something. I usually buy art for the "art" not the "cutting room" crap.

Do you folks feel the same way? Or do you like the "bonus" busted plays?

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    the only bonus stuff I find amusing is the "out-takes" from films like Monsters Inc. or IceAge...where I know it's a complete attempt to just be goofy on the creator's part. Otherwise, I'm with you...

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I like the extra stuff. It is fun to watch and cool to hear some of the director's point of view on a few things.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It started as a way to promote dvds.

cause when they first came out it was either, A)spend 20 bucks and get ______ on VHS or B) spend 30 bucks and get the same thing on DVD.

so they needed a way to justify the higher price.

also they wanted dvds to seem like something totally more than a vhs could ever be, to just promote the media and make them more mainstream.

now that dvds have pretty much dominated the movie markets, you find that there are tons of dvds with really lame extras. This is mainly because, everyone is(was) in a rush to get their **** out on DVD, so they just threw in trailers or something like that. Another thing to look at is that Special features have gotten to the point where "it's too be expected" if a dvd is sans special features the buyer may feel like they got ripped off. So that's why a lot of dvds have lame special features.

and also there is the simpler reason. The producers(or whoever) wanted to share what it wasl ike to make the movie, or whatever, and DVD gives them this mediu to share.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    side note: did you know that DVD stands for Digital Versatile disc

not Digital Video disc(as so many people think)

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I think it is funny when you are watching the extras, and the actors are all "Oh my god, working with Spielberg has been my life long dream. He changed the movie world forever... and oh my, john travolta, just a legend of his time!"

I say, knock off the B.S. and tell them what you REALLY think.

7. Also, many times the movie had to be cut up to avoid a MC-17 (or "adults only") rating while in its initial theatre release. There are also alternate endings, scenes cut out because of time constraints, etc.. It's not just the crap that ends up on the cutting room floor.

It gives the Producer and/or Director the chance to show you the film as it was envisioned. Maybe.

8. It varies for me. Sometimes the outtakes are really interesting and give a new dimension to the movie. But if it's just a scene where they're in the car talking about yadda yadda then I'm not interested.

Also, I think there should be more than just outtakes, I'd like commentary, interviews, trailers would be cool, maybe a documentary.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Worthless filler!! Outakes are cool.

Why dont they do something worthwhile and put the sound track on it?!!!

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

There are also those people who appreciate film on a higher level than the average movie goer and these kinds of extra's are not only entertaining but in certain cases can be highly informative.

Just because you think it's a waste of time or space does not mean it is so.

11. MC-17? is this a new rapper or something? :confused: ;)

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    NC-17 is what he meant I'm sure.

jared, you mean movie snobs right :D

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just because you think its highly informative and entertaining does not mean its so.

14. D'OH!

yeah, that's what I meant.
    Thanx.

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well there are those who think of film as more than just entertainment. To those who are knowledable and appreciative of the skill and dedication it takes to make well made films it is informative and useful yes. My point is that this thread is not really useful because one mans trash could be another mans gold and it was started off in a really negative vein.

And WR there are movie snobs yes but that is not necessarily what I am talking about. I am guessing that people who think of DVD's the way P. Aaron does probably doesn't know anything about Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Bergman etc etc. Which is fine of course but it's only obvious when he thinks extras on dvd's are a stupid waste.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm sure alot of the movie going/buying public dig the footage. But in retrospect, "less is more".

Seeing busted takes, (Pixar productions excepted) IMO loses mystique for the picture. Less exposure could actually help certain actors/actresses. More face time folly doesn't neccesarily benefit alot of actors/actresses.

I like movies, even more than the people who act in them.

17. I don't remember when I first heard this saying, but, if you really sit down and think about it, it is so true. There was also a song called, "Less is More," by Rupert Holmes (If you like Pina Coladas) that I liked a lot, but, CBS records and Mr. Holmes had some kind of a disagreement, and I never heard it again. :(

Back to the point being discussed.

I think a lot of it is just the mind set of our advertising dominated "Super Size" everything culture. They give you stuff that they don't want, you don't need, and it just might push you to buy the DVD because you think you're getting something for nothing.

New and improved.
    Now with bleach.
    Only half the fat and calories of...

You get my drift, right? ;)

Mike

18. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sigh.. There are lots of DVD's where the "extra" is just crap.. I agree with wrong robot that it's mainly there to justify the higher cost... OTOH, there are some really nice extra stuff on some discs, like documentaries, interviews, directors cuts and whatever. With that said, I've seen many many bergman, hitchcock, and kurosawa movies, and I still think the extras on DVDs in most cases are a stupid waste and doesn't really add anything. I don't have to watch them, so I don't.

My point is, that I think your comments are "unnessecary" (whatever that's supposed to mean on an open forum), because one mans trash could be another mans gold and they were started off in a really negative vein.

19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I can understand not wanting to see "busted takes"...I mean more of the things like documentaries and commentaries. I think those are great resources myself. Trailers etc etc...That just gives you more value for your money. DVD's aren't really that expensive for what you are getting to be honest. I mean the most I've seen is 29.99 or so and that is for something like a Criterion release which is well worth it. Most dvd's I've bought are 19.99 or less IIRC and that is certainly not much higher than a standard VHS during its "heydey."

As far as my comments being negative, they aren't at all. :) Honestly I am trying to explain that just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a waste. Which kurosawa and Hitchcock films have you seen that had extras that were a waste? Do you think Donald Ritchie commentaries are a waste? And besides most Kurosawa releases don't have many extra's anyway as a result of Toho being a pain to work with on that sort of stuff.

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah because DVDs are in their prime now. But when they were first released they were much more expensive.