Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why all the Crate Hate?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EclecticBassGuy, Jan 13, 2003.

1. i have searched the Amp forums and have found that many people here dont like Crate amps.

i'm just wondering why. if Crate is the low end Ampeg, wouldnt that say something good for Crate?

i have a Crate amp in my sights and was wondering if i should stray away...or if i'm ok...it's a BX440H, by the way.

thanks for the info!
    Aaron

[edit: wow...i'm a poet...and dont even know it! ok, that's corny...sorry.]

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i dont think crate does a great job durability wise. Ive never played their bass amps but i havent heard good things. Their guitar amps are great sounding but always breaking down. I got the blue voodoo which is supposed to be one of their upper amps, and after every show i have to take it in to get sumthing fixed. Id go with sumthing a little more durable for the money.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    no one, and i repeat, no one, dislikes the tone from my Crate BT-350. it's an amazing head. people don't like crate, because, they are CHEAP, and cut alot of corners, but they are perfect for certain people. and they are underrated. good, cheap, stuff.

4. I have a BT350 that I got to replace my Peavey Mark IV (this has been about 8 yrs ago) The BT350 was rated 350 watts into 4 ohms and the Peavey 210 into 4 ohms. Only problem is the Peavey Kicks the Sh!t out of the Crate. I think Crate is highly over rated powerwise. jmho

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whoa, you LIKE peaveys amps? thats a first.I find the crate is more suited to rock, it's a DIRTY little amp. and it's tone is amazing. it makes me forget about what i'm playing, and just play. I find peaveys amps to,,, normal, there are just good,,, plain, amps. but that crate... ive went to great lengths to make sure it works, ive spent alot on repair instead of getting a new amp, (no fault of the amps, just rough abuse, getting dropped, etc...) and it's amazing. every night (almost) i have a gig, someone asks what amp i am useing (I put it out of the sight of the crowd, for this one and only purpose). then i tell them, if their bassists, "It's crate".... ive had a few laughs,,,,, then a sober face as they realize I'm telling the truth. But, the crate aint for everyone. thats for sure. it's not to clean sounding,,, i don't guess.

6. I kinda think the sound hollow...like they're made out of cardboard! Not anything like fine products made by PEAVEY!!! But if you have a budget, Crates are greats!

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    YOU LIKE PEAVEY??? MY FRIEND! I LOOOOOOOVVVEE PEAVEY. well, their cabs anyway. amazing stuff. but crate aint to shabby, for the price. you get what you pay for.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Because they're not, you know, cool.

9. Here's the manual on the thing. http://www.stlouismusic.com/downloads/crate/owners_manuals/BX440H_4115.PDF

5% total harmonic distortion? That's one dirty little mofo, but for $175 I suppose you can't get hurt too bad.

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    As previously mentioned, crates are often hollow-sounding and underpowered, but if ya find one you like, go for it. Now my PEAVY..for its mere little 50 watts it sure kicks hard...I actually think it sounded better and kicked harder than the bassman's i tried for 50 bucks more! yay for PEAVY!!!

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It's "Peavey" but hey, your a fan right? GOOOOO PEAVEY!!!!

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The small Crate combos, like 50 watts, seem to be decent practice amps. I've found some quite usable tones in them. I compared the Crate 2x15 to the Sunn 2x15 made by Fender, and that Crate was WORLDS above the Sunn for tone, response, and depth.

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    THANK YOU. i NEVER saw why people liked sunn. i always found them way to......thin, over priced, and if i'm not mistaken they couldnt handle alot of power? not sure on the last one. but sunn is just a name, IMHO.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Crate B80XL. It's an older 15" combo that tops at 200watts I believe. Never failed me, always entertains me, and in general a great practice amp. Can't hold a candle to my main rig, but it's still a nice amp.

15. Mudbass, thanks a ton for that link!

now if only i could find me a nice (read that as affordable) cab...

*mumbles something about taking one step at a time...*

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

At our rehearsal studio, the owner has equipped most studios with Crate amps. He was inot them because of the 5 year warranty! However sadly, these amps are beyond that - I believe.

In the room we rehearse, there is a Crate 1 x 15 combo - B80 (not sure of the letters, but I think they may be the same).

I despise this amp with a vengeance, but I believe it's more becuase of it's hard life that it is unreliable, and not because it's a Crate. One of the inputs doesn't work, and usually you don't get much more than an hour before it starts to fart and fizzle!

I tend to take my Ashdown Electric Blue combo in to the studio now. It's less than a year old, I like the sound, and even though it's only gt 130 watts compared to the Crate - it blows the Crate away, however as I said before the Crate has seen better days. I still wouldn't buy a Crate amp though!

Oh, and the guitarist in our band brings his Marshall Valvestate combo - in preference to using the Crate guitar amp at the studio!

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is the point - there is nothing to beat actually trying stuff out !!!!

People spend ages talking about specs and power ratings - but I found all these to bear no relation to what the things actually sound like in "real life".

So - the first thing is that tone is very subjective and there are amps that some people love the sound of and others hate.

Some people go on about wanting an "efficient" cab, but I've found that these all sound horrible to me - give me an inefficent cab any day!

I had a similar experience in a studio that had a 1X 15 Trace Elliott combo - the owner was saying how it would be good enough for anybody and you'll enjoy this - but it was the worst-sounding amp I have ever played through!!

And there are loads of other examples of similar areas where specs and discussions here don't really help you get any idea of what it will sound like!!

Try before you buy!!

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have a little BX15 practice amp; it does its job, no complaints. Several years ago I picked up a BT350 fairly cheap and it has never been relaible, been in the shop several times for different things and it still crackles and cuts out; the DI has never worked right. I thought it might make a decent backup, actually it was a waste of money. I also have one of the 1x15 cabinets that sounds pretty good. Thank goodness I have better stuff.

19. A Sunn made by Fender is not a real Sunn......:D