1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why all the guitarist insults?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wallybill, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    I read these posts and there are a lot of references to "gui****s". When I think back about some of the guitarists I've jammed with through the years.... Oh. Yeah.
    Never mind.
    ;)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I don't know why and find it very annoying.
    Typical clique behaviour I think.

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah. I mean, I've played with some killer guitarists and some bad ones. But I've also played with killer drummers and some bad ones. I've also played with some killer bassists and some bad ones.

I think it's just an attempt to justify the extreme nerdiness that is the knowledge acquired through TB.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Because we play the bass, we sometimes get overlooked because of "flashy" and sometimes loud guitarists. It happens to every one. Widdly-woo here, dive bomb there, and next thing you know, they get all the girls. It's some of that, too.

5. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    What ever JA and SP...............

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Ehh...I guess that's just the stereotype. I always wonder if there's a talkbass-esque website for guitarists and if they bad-mouth us in the same manner. I never get time to search though since I'm always on here or working. Oh well...I've had more problems with drummers anyways. I'd liken it to the saying women have for men: "all the good ones are either gay or taken". :D

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    It's all in good fun but...

If I made a list of all the guitarists that I've ever jammed with, I think I could pick 7 or 8 where I'd say: "Yeah. I'd play with that guy any day."

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yes they do, our one is "Basshole"

9. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    It's just a joke.

10. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    because it's easy to pick on someone who isn't there to defend himself. also, it helps overcome the inferiority complex most bassists here have:spit:

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Or, you know--some of us simply have a sense of humor. :rolleyes:

But, since you're all here being so much better than those of us who make a joke every once in a while--Can I borrow one of you to help me turn this lump of coal into a diamond?

12. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    LOL!!
    +1

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Of course it's just a joke, I've played with many really talented guitarists. But there also many, many who have no idea what volume control or good tone is. And at least as many who have no clue how or why any of their equipment works. Having trouble with the PA system? Get the bass player.

14. Jeez, I sure hope TB doesn't turn into another forum, venue, community or whatever that becomes so hyper-sensitive and so politically-friggin' correct that there is no room for a little locker-room style ribbing. IMHO, taking ourselves that seriously only creates or exacerbates the perceived "problem".

Duane Allman, a great gui****, was also a perceptive and direct-speaking philosopher. I believe he was spot on when he said (paraphrased) it ain't about race, color, religion, gender, gender preference or what instrument you play, because there are really only two kinds of people in the world: regular folks and a**holes.

I've never read a reference here to a "gui****" or a "drumber" that actually struck me as mean-spirited. Besides, it's not like bass players don't get their own, equal measure of grief and jokes. It's all just regular folks engaging in a little good-natured kidding and teasing. OTOH and IME, the politically-correct and uber-sensitive tend to fall into Duane's latter category.

C'mon, folks. Let's lighten up. And wail on, Sky Dog!

Bluesy Soul :cool:

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.

Agreed. I can not think of a Guitar Player I have played with through the years that can hanlde much trouble. When it comes to fixing, building, hooking up, trouble shooting, cable making, and making a girl really scream it allways comes down to us Bass Players. :bassist:

16. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    And it's a tough job - but someones got to do it.
    :)

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A guy was on an Amazonian boat cruise, with several native guides. In the distance, he could hear a steady, rythmic drum beat. He asked, "what's that?", and was answered only, "drums stop, BAD". A little farther down the river, the beats were getting louder, and the guide repeated, "drums stop, BAD". The guy was puzzled, and asked, "why", and the guide said, "drums stop, BAD, ..bass solo".

18. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The guitarist insults come from topic threads (from guitar forums) on "who can shred faster" or "how fast can you play the Pantera solo". Most of us bass players are about being a team player in the band. While guitarists seem to think the world revolves around them and their solos. Solos are cool, there are many I love to listen to, but without the bass line holding the fort down, that solo sounds like crap.

I am lucky to have guitarists in my band that understand the importance of my bass playing and let me be heard wherever we play. Unfortunately, too many guitarists don't understand how bass players can make songs heavier, groove more, sound meaner, more danceable and so on..... That's where the ignorance originates from for most guitarists - they just don't get it.

19. Yep, thats just about how it goes!

20. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.