Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why all this mess with Fender FIVE strings jazz pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pc, Mar 8, 2003.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I'm planning to buy a five string MIM Fender Jazz but I've been reading a lot of comments about Fender jazzV pickups size.

What is it wrong?

Why Fender builds a "non-standard " :eek: pickup??

Why don't pickup manufacturers make direct replacement to Fender "standard"??

What is the meaning of life? :bassist:

2. While I can't be much help on the meaning of life, I do think that Bartolini makes a drop-in replacement for a MIM Fender V. Try their site

3. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I believe Rio Grande has a drop-in too...

[​IMG]

"Our Vintage for J-Bass pickups expanded and tweaked for the frequencies of a low “B” string. This is a wide spaced pickup, not 5 strings crammed into a 4-string package."

but no specs @ their website.

I don't understand why this is so complicated... I mean, why do *all* other pickup makers dont simply make a 5 string jazz pickup like Fender's, and why Fender hasn't projected their basses with a "normal" size pickup.

My guess is that Fender didn't develop the first 5 string jazz basses and other builders got the original 4 string enclosure and put them on their 5ers... After that, Fender Developed its own 5 string bass with its own pickup size... :meh: :confused:

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Why buy a Fender 5-string bass if you don't like the pickups, which means you don't like the tone?? There are plenty of other 5-string basses to chose from.

5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I was planning to get an old skool vibe... I've listened a jazz with Duncans SJB-5 and got crazy...

in fact the MIM jazz I was looking for was sold :bawl:

But I found that a local builder I think made low quality stuff actually does a pretty good job with jazz-like basses. His 4 are killer for the money (~300 usd). Nice woods, nice craftsmanship, but it lacks on electronics.

his JazzV is bootiful, and I'm buying one from them. The BIG problem is that I don't know their pickup size. I sent an email to them but their commercial dept doesn't know about specs...:rolleyes: so Im waiting monday to cal l their C/S to check.

That's why I got p1$$#d off with this crappy pickup size issue... :spit: :D

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If he is building them, can't you ask him to route the pup cavities for whichever pups you want to use? If not, as long as his routes are smaller than you need, you have no problem. Any local setup guy should be able to enlarge the route for you, or you could even do it yourself.

7. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    thats what I'm going to do tomorrow morning :D

I think the main problem would be if the pickups are the larger ones (4", i think)... I hope not... :bassist:

8. Does Tagima have a US distributor? He has some cool basses on his website. What do they cost in US dollars?

Thanks