Why always jazz bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by withdevil, Mar 1, 2006.

1. withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Why is that looks like most people like jazz bass...

p doesnt even have much versions..

is p bass just for rok and roll?
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The P bass is for whatever you want it to be, my friend.

But I do prefer the Jazz.
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The Jazz just has the prototypical sexy body shape. The P-Bass just looks more functional.
  4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Its a total matter of preference. I think the jazz looks sexier, and over all I like the playabilty of the thinner neck better.
  5. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    me too my P bass has a jazz neck on it.
  6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    what he said.......
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Big reason: the Jazz neck is slimmer than the average P-bass neck

Bigger reason: the Jazz does the stereotypical slap and Jaco tones

Biggest reason: Jazz basses always have two pickups. P-basses often have just one

IMO (of course)
  8. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    But, the Precision's "one sound" can't be duplicated by the Jazz, and if you love that "one sound", you need a Precision.
    (Although: the Jazz wired in series can approximate the "one sound." Of course, in reality, the Precision does give you more than that one sound (e.g. Jamerson vs. Entwistle)).
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    ...and I prefer a Precision. In fact, I'd like to get a Jazz body and put a Precision neck on it. I know...totally opposite from what most would do, but I like the P-Bass neck more than the Jazz.

Nothing sounds like a P-Bass except a real Fender P-Bass. some come close...but not close enough for me.
  10. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Jazz is just a better looker and player IMO. I have tryed alot of Ps since i dig blues and classic rock and thought one with flats would work:meh: I am always disapointed in the P bass and reach for the Jazz it has more options and sounds than the P for me and the music I play.
  11. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I had a Jazz with a Precision neck... and it felt like, but didn't sound like, a Precision.
  12. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I know if it were wired up like a Jazz it wouldn't have that P-Bass sound. But I'm talking about a Jazz shaped body, but with it routed out for Precision electronics, and no pickguard. Something with a nice figured top.
  13. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Okay, I hear you.
  14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    If i had to decide between a p or a j i would be walking out the store with both basses none does the work the same way the other one does.
  15. i'd like something with the Stu Hamm urge bass cofiguration. Passive though not active.
  16. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
  17. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My preference as well.

My #1 fretted bass is a Marcus Miller Jazz bass with a '75 Reissue Precision Bass neck. Love it to death, I'm a big B-neck fan, hands cramp up a bit with a Jazz neck.
  19. A jazz wired in series doesn't sound like a P as much as it sounds like a MM. Even then, it can't "approximate" the "one sound".

Jazz Series=Jazz Series

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have always preferred P-basses. I was just explaining why J-basses are more popular. So, I completely agree, except for the "one trick pony" reference. Versatility is in the player more than it is the instrument.