Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why always "vs. Flea"????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by relman, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Why does everybody compare every bass player to flea...ending up in a full-fled bashing?!?!?!?
    I love the guy, he was the 2nd reason for me to go into bass. So he's not a technique god, a theory buff or a thundering monster...who gives????

I know there are others who feel this way...please support!!!

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I asked the same question some time ago... it turned into a fieldy bashing hehehe
    Flea vs Fieldy

but don´t worry, i think no one is going to come out with a Flea vs thread in some time because they are all out of bassist to compare... unless they repeat ;)

3. Flea or Caron?

4. don't even start!

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am with you all the way on this one, relman. Personally, I have yet to see the point of Flea vs. this guy or that guy.

Who cares?? Either you like Flea, or you don't. I personally do, and I don't care if he is better than Vic Wooten, John Entwistle, etc. etc. And also, what makes these guys better or worse than the one that they are getting compared to???

Oh well, that's just my opinion, and a lot of people probably don't like it, but, I am still entitled to it.

Later
    RYan

bass nitro likes this.
  6. For what it's worth, I personally don't like Flea (not my style of music), but I am in complete agreement with you when it comes to the comparison thing. I mean, if you don't like Wootens' music, it doesn't matter how much more technically superior he is than Flea, to you, Flea is better.

bass nitro likes this.
  7. Mr. X

Mr. X

Mar 29, 2001
    USA
    Although I don't like Flea...I DO like and have great respect for his playing. It seems to me, that to compare anyone one's playing, to another player's, is merely an exercise in futility.

bass nitro likes this.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Exactly!!!

9. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    This line of thinking was the point of my 'Flea vs. Sam Kinison' thread. I'm quite tired, as most of you are, of so and so vs. so and so. Why don't we focus on supporting bassists and just discussing our influences? Besides this blah is better than blah is all opinion anyhow. And you know what they say about assuming....um, er opinion. ;)

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I totally agree with you 100% I dont like Flea, or the Peppers for that matter, but I can repect his bass playing.

Flea vs Me....lol

11. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Flea vs. tick. On the average housecat or dog, which is worse?

12. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    File under obscure references

Mike Ditka Vs. Flea

13. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    ...a Flea and a fly in a flu...

14. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    It happens because Flea is the most popular bassist in popular music or maybe contemporary rock and he is in a well known band. When your at the top you are vunerable to a lot of criticism. It's up to you who you think is the best bassist , I could'nt care less because everyone has there own opinion. If some one wants to say Flea is better than Victor Wooten then so be it. But I know for a fact that VW is on a much higher level than Flea.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like Flea and Victor Wooten! Is that possible? Is my head going to explode due to the conflict between the two influences? What can I do? Is there any way to reconcile this? helpme............help me.......-B

bass nitro likes this.
  16. I completeley agree with everything said here, it is so futile to compare, but I just get so annoyed by comments like this:

"But I know for a fact that VW is on a much higher level than Flea."

That is your opinion, not a 'fact' therefore you do not 'know' it.

The begining of all knowlegde starts with the fact that you 'know' nothing...?

bass nitro likes this.
  17. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    The more influences the better I say. I dig both Flea and VW also along with a long list of other guys from all different genres.

18. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    The comparison thing is a little childish, isn't it ?
    Like "My dad would beat your dad" or "Mine's bigger than yours" sort of thing ...
    Sometimes it's obvious that this particular bassist is technically superior in his skills than another one but what about attitude (ok, that's a troll), general behaviour ... but above all : adequation to the musical style the bassist is in or creativity or originality etc. ?

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Flea vs. Godzilla?

Will C.:cool:

20. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Well it's up to you if you want to get annoyed Arther Daily but that's just my opinion , there is no need to winge or get pedantic about it.You do have a point though , i should not have said 'fact' , but you know and I know the truth.

the beginning of all knowledge starts with the fact that you 'know' nothing?....hmmm ok.....