Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why am I clipping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Alright about four months ago I decided my old Peavey Combo was do for retirement, and I needed a new, more powerful rig. I put together a rack system incorporating:

ADA MB-1 Preamp
    Behring Composer Compressor
    Mackie 1400i poweramp (700wattsx2)
    Carvin 1x15

Now I turn this up as loud as it will go, and it is only a little louder than my old rig. The Mackie clip light starts lighting up way earlier than I thought it would. Where is the problem here? My only thought is that the 1x15 might not be very loud, but its rated at 600 watts, so I dont know. I figured it out and according to the 2xold power = +3dbs, I am gaining 6dbs out of this system. I can promise you I am not. As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's possible the Carvin's efficiency is lower than the Peavey's. If it were 3dB lower, you'd be left with a 3dB increase, which is just noticeable in direct comparisons (and nothing when there is time between the comparisons).

You didn't mention how you have the amp hooked up - is it bridged mono into the 1x15? I don't know if the Carvin is 8 or 4 ohms, nor how much the Mackie puts out at 8. It's only 700x2 into 2ohms per channle, or 1400w bridged into 4 ohms. If you were running one channel into an 8 ohm cab it would be something like 200w.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think you're limited by using only a single 15. If you want more volume, I'd suggest more speakers, or at least a more efficient one (the Carvin is said not to be extremely efficient, and it doesn't have a ton of low low end). The power handling of a speaker doesn't necessarily equate with efficiency.

4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've been having the same problem with my rack rig. When it clips, it does so with any cab configuration I've tried with it. Really sounds bad when that light flashes....it's funny, my Hartke 2000 head seems louder (not nearly as good, but louder) and I know I've beat the @&#% out of it, but if it ever started clipping, it didn't sound like this!

Sorry 'bout the run-on!:eek:

5. I can't find the SPL rating on the cab from Carvin, but I suspect it's not a very effecient box. I was using the Carvin 15" cab at a jam session on one side of my Crest V1100 (550x2 @4ohms) and my Eden 210T off the other side. I was having the same problem with the Carvin cab as you are. To get any volume out of it I had to push the power meter on that side way into the yellow while the Eden side of the amp was just cruising along.

6. your compressor might have a tiny bit to do with it but not much........compressors don't compress THAT much.......

I think it's the cab honestly...........what's the ohm's on that 1x15?
    Your power amp can only put so much into a 8 ohm cabinet. Add some cabinets! And don't go with carvin for the sake of pete! :)

It may be clipping because the power amp is dishing out too much power into that low capicity (and low grade) cab. I'm surprised you haven't blown a that speaker yet..........

Look into a variety of cabs to add or replace that 1x15. I suggest either SWR or perhaps another eden, like your 2x10.
    They will take a lot of watts from that power amp of yours.

Happy thumping,
    -insighted

7. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Carvins are usually not efficient at all, and if your amp puts out 700w at 2ohms then its probably around 3-4 hundred watts at 4 ohms, and 150-250 watts at 8 ohms. I would bet this is whats going on. You have a few options though, you can bridge the amp and get around 1000 watts out of it bridged at 8 ohms and this will help a good bit. If you want only one cab I would find a 4ohm cab with a high power rating and better effeciency and more speakers or just add more cabs to the present rig to lower overall impedance and get more juice out of your amp. Hope this helps.