1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why am I never happy with my tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Sep 4, 2008.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, but it can take months or years (more than likely years) to flesh out a specific musical idea or concept. Also, to your point, if you surround yourself with musicians that are better than you, or at least offer different perspectives, than they also act as your teachers. Trust me, there are teachers that can provide you a wealth of information for years without running out of ideas. Putting your faith in that teacher is a humbling experience.

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I believe that any exploration of the topic of tone has everything to do with your touch and technique. While gear has something to do with it, the vast majority of your tone is you.

Your practice should be all about making a beautiful tone, that includes time, dynamics and musicality. These things must be practiced. Jay mentioned the importance of working everyday towards these goals, I agree 100%. Play as you practice, practice as you play.

3. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I have come to realize that rooms have more to do with whether I like my tone or not. Same bass, same rig...sometimes sounds great.....other times, well......not so great.

4. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I do most of my practicing without an amp or headphones. I step into the bathroom and shut the doors. Tile floors make the room have just a touch of reverb, and it keeps all the external noises kind of quiet. I can hear everything just fine, and my family appreciates it more as well. I'll agree with some others. It takes the focus off of the tone of the amplifier and put the focus on the instruments and technique.

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Believe me Andy, you and I are not far apart on this issue... Great posts and thought provoking ideas for everyone here.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Agreed. I was going to just breeze by this post but after reading some of the replies I realized that there were a lot of thoughtful posts. I also know that I allowed myself to waste a lot of time in the past thinking way too much about gear so I wanted to add something to the discussion. It can be a way to avoid the work of practicing if you're not careful, which is the only way to improve your playing and your tone.

7. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    Tone is something that takes years to work on. It is also subjective because your taste may change over the years.
    alot of times, great tone happens by accident. Its really trial and error and trying different combinations of gear and tweaking, imho