Why am I never loud enough

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hstiles, Jul 31, 2003.

1. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    Well, yah know, if you can't get him to play "with the band" you have to find somebody else. Everyone should be willing to give up that "perfect solo sound" to get a good band sound. Then again, sometimes yah gotta play with a ****ty band long enough to get good enough to get into or start something that has a chance to go somewhere. I was jammin' with a band a while back where the guitarist/leader insisted on DIing into the PA because it "sounds better" - and this in a basement rehersal! Needless to say it was WAY too loud.

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Well, yah know, if you can't get him to play "with the band" you have to find somebody else.Wouldn't that shake things up!! He also likes it cranked up in his monitor too. Sheesh!! As long as our sound man is running seperate mixes this is cool, but still overkill.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    hstiles,

Are you losing bass or midrange?

try this to check phase. if you have enough speaker cable, the ones you usually use place the two cabs on the floor but apart from eachother like a pair of stereo speakers facing in the same direction. stand or sit with your guitar in between the two cabs. when you face the cabs and you play your sound should sound like its coming from IN BETWEEN the cabs if they are IN PHASE. if it sounds like the sound is coming from everywhere else but the middle then one of the cabs is out of phase. the tricky part is two-fold, ONE low bass is harder to pinpoint direction it is coming from so it could sound like its all around anyway. TWO if only part of the cab is out of phase with the other then maybe onlyy one or two drivers might be out of phase with the other cab.

to first understand what to listen for try this on your home stereo. if you removable wire connections on the back of your home stereo speakers, take the wires on ONE SPEAKER and reverses them (just at the speaker) put the wire that was on + to the - and vise versa. sit inbetween the speakers and hear both settings. the one where the sound sounds in the middle is the correct phase. listen for some thing similar on your cabs.

another problem is the reversal could be happening in the cabs, the cables, at the amp, at the pre if its a stereo pre provided your using two channels all the way to the cabs.

try different hook ups if you currently use 2 channels like: pre ch1>ampch1>cab1, prech2>ampch2>cab2....try prech1>ampch1(bridge mode)out one ch>cab1>cab2

let me know what you find

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just remember that you can be obnoxiously loud and still have no 'cut' in the mix. Your tone recipe sounds like it would fall into the exact trap that several folks have described in this thread - sounds great in isolation, cuts through the mix like the backside of a spoon (that is to say, not at all). My SWR settings - enhancer at 2:00, bass flat, treble 1:00, 800 Hz scooped back to about 10:30 for fingerstyle, 8:30 for slap (I've got a couple extra parametric bands in use on my SM-900, but that's basically it). Mine is a pretty scooped tone, far more scooped than many here would advocate -- so if _I'm_ telling you that you're too scooped, then you might want to think about a little moderation...

:)

5. Hey Mcrelly, interesting description of two cabinets out of phase... good advice.:cool:

Funny, some people can inmmediately hear an out of phase pair of cabinets and some don't quite get it. My way of describing it is similar to yours, I describe the out-of-phase sound as "It sounds like the music is going around a corner in your head" (one speaker pushing while one is pulling)

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    funny thing is the music is ALWAYS going around the corner of your head! :p I got the description from a friend who like his speakers out of phase because "it sounds like I have surround sound!" but he also didn't have much bass!

Just the other week I corrected the phase of a pair of speakers in my schools art room only to come back a day or two later and someone switched them back to out-of-phase! oh well.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The easy way to check for out of phase wiring.....

Plug a 1/4" cable into the cab. At the other end of the cable, take a 9 volt battery and touch the + terminal to the tip of the plug and the - terminal to the sleeve of the plug. The speakers should push out. If the cab has multiple speakers (2x10, 4x10, etc...) make sure ALL of the speakers push out. Do the same for all your cabs. Even if your speakers pull in instead of push out, as long as all the speaker cones move in the same direction, your rig is in phase.