Why am I so dumb? I don't know!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I'm going to try to make this a short story. I bought a bass collections five string, liked it for awhile, but it's tone sucked... but I had five strings. Then I decide to defret it. Ok, it's a little cooler, but didn't really help the tone. Then I decide to paint it. I did a horrible job and not thinking got paint all over the electronics and pickups and everything (I hated it's electronics and didn't care). Now I stripped the paint off (looks cool!) and ripped out the electronics, So...

1) Has anyone else be as careless and stupid with a bass as I.
    2) I shouldn't be so rough on myself, I hated that bass, and it's a good learning experience.
    3) I need new pickups/electronics, how much will this run me.
    3 and a half) Can I pay someone who isn't a tard to install them, how much will this run me.
    4) How much does it cost to get a bass setup (Truss rod, etc) It is missing some screws that they could get for me as well, will they do that? and
    9) :( :mad:
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    46) When I get a bass setup, can they sand the fretboard more even? Because when I got paint off the fretboard (Yeah I was dumb, so shoot me) I realized the fretboard wasn't perfect. Will they make everything all pretty and cool?
  3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Will nigel mansell make a comeback in F1?
  4. 1) No, I can't say I have. :D
    2) Just keep telling yourself that :D
    3) Depends on what type of pick ups. Probably anywhere from $50. If you want decent pups, you'll be looking at more, a lot more.
    3.5) Yes. Depends, if they do the setup at the same time, it'll be in the $100 neighborhood.
    4) see 3.5
    46) Probably not. They will, but not included in the setup. It'll be an added fee, since sanding a fretboard and keeping appropriate radius isn't a two minute job.
  5. OK, sorry (stupid)matt but this is off topic, but has pissed me off for a long time

Any way, Mr.Gwar, i was wondering, about the sig, is that walsh guys first name Joe or josh? the 20 th century master guys(butchers) called him josh, but on his greatest hits "little did he know" his name seemed to be joe, any insight? that is assuming we're both speaking of the same walsh (james gang, solo).
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Joe Walsh is indeed the name of the guy who played for James Gang and the Eagles.

ChaosGwar's signature is quoting Josh Walsh, one of our members here at Talkbass.

No relation, AFAIK.
  7. Jeff is correct.

The quote came from one of the many "Punk" threads. That one line just about summed up my entire argument. Every time I read it, I still have to nod in agreement.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you don't say where you are based - one more dumb thing?

If you lived near London, I would say that the Bass centre in Wapping would almost certainly do all this as they are a major distributor for Bass Collection.

But as you think it's better to joke about your location, I can't help you! :rolleyes:
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A sucky bass is a sucky bass. Stupid is stupid. There's no cross-dependency.
  10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Actually, look at this as your opportunity to learn something. I mean, the bass has obviously been hacked-up pretty bad. (Been there, done that!) So, take what is left and change the pickups yourself, or try setting it up. What the h*ll, it won't get worse than it is now.

On the other hand, you can pay someone $50 to install the new pickups, learn nothing, and still have a bass that is a$$!! :D
  11. Stupid is as stupid does SIR!!

12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well he is stupid...
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    He may very well be stupid, but he may also be from Kalamazoo, Michigan, the original home of Gibson Guitars.