1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Am I So Picky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Nov 29, 2010.

1. So, I want a bass that plays like this:

SR500BM.

Looks like this:

bestfinishevar.

And Sounds like this:

FenderMIA.

And is passive.

Yeah, I know, I'm crazy.:meh:

2. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    It's the Talkbass curse. You now have incurable GAS and tone, style and feel all go with it. Heaven help you! :help:

3. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    +1

I see all 3 in your future very soon.

4. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The best reason to be picky is because you can be.

5. madrob

madrob

Aug 22, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Close to what I want which is a 24 fret P with the neck of my SR800. I want mine to look like a P though.

6. The thing is, I don't want all 3 basses, I want all the things I like about those basses in one bass.

But, the only way I'm going to get that is to either spend a truck load of money, or learn how to build it myself...

7. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I would really like a super thin, narrow, fast necked P too. I have a Yamaha RBX 260 and the neck is pretty sweet on that. I'm not to crazy about the body style though.

8. I believe I'm gonna go with a USA Custom Guitars neck and try to get it close to the Ibanez dimensions and then do a P bass body. It won't have the comfortable body contours of the Soundgear (and unless I'm lucky, probably won't have the super light weight of the soundgear bodies). But it should give me the sound I want with the right pups.

9. How is the quality on Mighty Mite P-bass bodies? They appear to be significantly cheaper than USA custom guitar bodies or Warmoth bodies.

10. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I cant comment on the bodies. But if they are anything like their necks they should be pretty decent.

11. The price difference is significant enough that it makes me just a tad suspicious on whether or not the quality is the same.

12. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    Buy the blue Ibanez, and select the neck Pickup.. :bag:

13. I would, but I'd have an easier time finding a rare one of a kind Fender I bet. Ever since they stopped production on that bass you can't find it ANYWHERE. At least, not in the blue finish. I saw one used at GC once, but I couldn't afford to buy it at the time:crying:

14. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Try to be more like me! I care about how it plays and how it sounds. Looks are a bonus! That's also how I feel about women these days. I'm more concerned about her being quality than looking good.

15. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I don't see much difference between the 2 Ibanez and have played both and they're similar.

But nothing sounds like a P and an Ibanez is the furthest thing from it.

Roll off a lot of tone tone and use the front PU. That's a s close as you'll get.

By the way, I have both. It's the only logical solution. : )

16. What about a G&L L2000 blueburst??

17. _Sasquatch_

_Sasquatch_

Sep 27, 2009
    Michigan
    Mr. KingRazor, I feel your pain. Which is why I'm having a bass built for me..because no existing bass will do.

18. I've never seen a G&L that I liked the look of.

I'm going the custom route, but not quite "full" custom. I'm going to do a USA Custom Guitar neck with Ibanez dimensions and then I'm gonna see if I can find a decent P bass body for relatively low price, Mighty Mite seems like the way to go for that. Then I'll throw in an MIA P pickup.

Total cost should be $800-$900, not bad for being so close to what I want.

Still won't get those sexy Ibanez body curves though :(

19. jaibot

jaibot

May 11, 2009
    central new jersey
  20. I've considered this as well, dunno how it would look with the P pup.

Also, if I go the Warmoth or USACG route, it's gonna cost over $400 to get a finished body :\