1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why am I sturbborn?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by villarddefender, Dec 12, 2019.

1. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    In that video, Scott said that if you want to be a 5 string player, you got to commit yourself to 5 string basses

In spite of that, I still own:
    -3x 4 string basses
    -2x 5 string basses

and keep on going back and forth between the two. Isn't Scott an authoritative figure in the bass world. I bet I'm not the only one going back and forth between 4 and 5 string basses.

On the other hand, Marcus Miller said in his video about his Sire basses that some people got 5 string version and buy a 4 string version as well or vice versa. It seems like a normal thing to go back and forth as you wish

I know some genre/songs require a 5 string but if we really need those lower notes sometimes, we might as well stick with a 5 string all the time and be good for everything. Still, we go back to 4 string. Why are we wired like that?

Kriegs, Glenn Johnson and ACWild like this.
  2. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    Southern New England
    I play 4, 5 & 6 string basses. I guess I'm doomed to a life of stubbornness! :eek:

EddiePlaysBass, JRA, nbsipics and 3 others like this.
  3. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    LOL

Kriegs likes this.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I play both 4's and 5's.

Dudaronamous, JRA and villarddefender like this.
  5. He's a good player, but he's said a few things I disagree with, and that's one of them.

6. ACWild

ACWild

Nov 5, 2019
    “If you WANT to be a five-string player...” I play in a cover band so I have to use a five-string. Otherwise, I’d stick with four-strings.

7. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

My goal is to be comfortable on any 4,5, or 6 string basses with or without frets. I'm sure I'm doomed.

I think the notion to committing to a 5 string means you've got to put aside your 4 string until you're really comfortable on a 5. Up to you, I can understand that rationale but I still like 4's.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    He's addressing newer players that play around with the idea of getting a five string.
    I totally agree with him on the point of commitment. When you've only played four strings your entire career, you should play the five exclusively until it feels natural. Everything else is just messing with your learning curve.
    Usually, when you've mastered the mechanics of playing a four and then commit to the five, you don't un-learn to play a four. You learn to play a five. In the end you can play both.

On a side note: I've bought a five two years after starting out on bass. The transition took the bigger part of an afternoon. Ever since, I feel a bit lost on a four. I've converted my remaining four string basses to BEAD which got that fixed. I can play with missing the G string a lot better than I can play without a B string.
    I regularly jump between 5 and 6, and the high C does not mess one bit with me, though.

9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Scott has a few weird ideas, but don't we all.

10. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    If you split your practice time between piano and juggling, you're not going to be as good at either of those things as someone who only practices one of those things.

11. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I play 4's, 5's, 6's and upright. It seems normal to me. Bass is good!

12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Scott is absolutely correct. He's saying that playing 4 and 5 string basses is fine, but there are good and bad reasons to move from a 4 to a 5. Just make sure you are playing a 5 for the right reasons and put the work in to play one properly. It's not just a 4 string with an extra string. If you think that then you don't have the right outlook for the 5 string bass.

I don't see this as a controversial point of view. He's not saying you can't play both types of bass. In fact he's pointing out why and how you can. So many players don't get up to speed on (ie commit to) a 5 string, which why they don't feel comfortable and end up selling it.

13. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    So then as long as you're comfortable and master each, you can own as many basses as you want?

14. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I have totally committed to all 5’s...but that doesn’t mean I’m a 5-string player since I just suck at it all...

15. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    I must admit I like how I have to shift less on a 5 string but maybe I'm just lazy lol?

Also there was like 1 song in my bass player life that required a 5 string lol...

I don't really need a 5 string but somehow I still got 2 of those >.<

SiliconElle and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I owned a 4 string the first 4 years that I started playing. Bought my first 5 string in 1999 and have only owned 5 strings since then.

villarddefender likes this.
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    From what I have seen, he seems to have a very “one size fits all” mentality and it’s HIS size that fits everyone. Just my opinion.

dune and villarddefender like this.
  18. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Scott is just another bass player - a very good bass player at that - who happens to host a pretty good site for bass education. Being a college educated musician, I cringe at a lot of things that he says. But he generally has good advice and information.
    I haven't seen that video in a year or so, but I suspect you're taking his phrase out of context. When learning the 5, it helps to stay focused on that for a while to help get past the confusion of the 2 basses and adjust to the differences. I remember having tons of issues switching back and forth when I first picked up the 5 and I would have benefitted from sticking to just the 5 for a month or so. After you get comfortable, it's not as hard to switch back and forth - except that so many of my lines use the low B string that I get lost on a 4 sometimes....

19. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    What he literally says right after saying you have to commit to the 5 string is that you should put away your 4 string FOR A WHILE. Nowhere does he say you can never own or play a 4 string again. He's just saying, as others have pointed out, that there's a learning curve, and that you should put in the dedicated time on what is essentially a different instrument until you get it down. I agree with him, personally.

JIO, aarjamson, JimmyM and 2 others like this.
  20. Stubborn here too. My 5 is overkill at the small acoustic gig I play at. My trick on playing a 4 & 5 is when I play my 5, my thumb rests on the 5th string. When I play my 4, my thumb rests on the edge of the pickup.

TexasRock, MCF, OogieWaWa and 6 others like this.