Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are alembic elan's so much cheaper than other alembic's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I just noticed on evil bay that the elan's are WAAAAY cheaper than other alembic models. Are they any less a bass than the other models? What's the deal with that? :confused:

Edit: No, i'm not buying one. i just love to look at alembics... Mmmmm Stanley Clarke signature... :rolleyes:

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    What's an Elan? There are Epic, Excel, Orion, Essence, Rogue, Europa, Signature and Series basses.
    Yes. The lower end models have different construction, woods, pickups, electronics and other detail specs different. The website and Alembic Club have lots of details as to what the basic differences are. But as all Alembics are effectively custom, the models are just representative of levels in the range and just about all options can be mixed and matched.
    I like my SC Sig Dlx. But I like my Series 1 better. And there is a distinct difference between them tonally.

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry, i meant alembic epic. i always get confused between the names of alembic epic and the lotus elan for some stupid reason.
    :bag:

5. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I have an Alembic Epic. The main differences between the Epic and the higher end models is the Epic has a set neck, as opposed to a through neck, and the Epic does not have the low pass filter system. Alembic says the Epics take about half as long to make since they have a set neck. Other than that, they are made in the same factory by the same people.

Mike

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    There is an Elan body style. It's here:

http://www.alembic.com/info/bodyshapes.html

I had an Epic myself. Bear in mind they're only "entry level" when compared to other Alembics. Incredible attention to detail, very fine instruments in their own right - IMO not inferior to many others' finest. Certainly not everybody's favorite bass, but there is no one favorite bass for everybody. The electronics and construction are simpler, but as it's been said it's still a custom bass essentially. A very high quality set neck handcrafted custom bass with unique pickups, electronics, and bridge you won't find elsewhere.

7. Elan:

Enthusiastic vigor and liveliness.
    Distinctive style or flair.

:)

8. The Elan was a standard model that was discontinued some years ago, and replaced by the Europa. Nothing entry level here, a full blown NT Alembic with filter(s). They can still be custom ordered. I've owned one very early example (1988) in beautiful two-tone burl walnut:

[​IMG]