1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are all tabs removed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Have you tried basstabarchive.com?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    All the more reason to learn standard notation!

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Or learn songs by ear.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They were removed because they're believed to be copyrighted material and the RIAA or another such organization has threatened lawsuits for spreading copyrighted information for free. That is all.

5. Yes I sure have...

6. But why though? If all the tabs were taken straight out of some copy-righted book made by all the bands, then it'll be a reasonable lawsuit. But players are just telling others how they play the song.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's one side of the argument, but when threatened with a lawsuit by large corporations like the RIAA, people tend to back down.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I'm pretty sure taking apart a machine and giving someone the blueprints that you made yourself is still patent infringment.

9. Get guitarpro. Although mysongbook.com where the main host of guitarpro files has been stricken by the copyright bug, there are still millions of guitar pro files downloadable from other sites like ultimateguitar.com. I recommend it, if not just for learning songs by tab, but to make and write out your own songs.

10. So according to that theory, I'd have to pay Primus every time I play a Primus song when someone other than myself sees and hears me play it. Right?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Technically, yes, that's supposed to be the case, if it's for money, I believe.

12. If that were true that you should pay royalities to bands and labels, wouldn't logic also dictate that the distribution of relevant learning materials would be ENCOURAGED??? ;)

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This is why I quit playing bass. :D

-Mike

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Once you realize that it's much easier to stop people from learning the song than it is to keep track of which no-name bands play what songs...

15. Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

16. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Its all stupid. I doubt the musicians themselves wanted this to happen:( To bad they dont own the rights.

17. Agreed. RIAA is just causing trouble because people are using things that don't belong to them.

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I say we start a new music movement. Pay to see the band preform the song, free to hear :).