Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are amps so complex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Aug 1, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I'm talking about when you have a gig and you need all the pre-amp poop and cables and micing it through the PA and BLLLLLLLLLAAHHHH!!!!! Why not just plug the head into the wall, pllug ur cabs into the head, crank or bass, crank or head, and play? when did this become so freaking technical?... i mean, u look in the back of a concert stage, and there are redneck roadies playing with 3000 different little dealies that u probably dont actually need... what happened to simplicity? well, we probably had it really simple in the begining, then we as humans got bored and made our lives harder.... well, we probably had it really simple in the begining, then we as humans got bored and made our lives harder.... what happened to simplicity?[/I] i mean, u look in the back of a concert stage, and there are redneck roadies playing with 3000 different little dealies that u probably dont actually need... what happened to simplicity? if i ever make it big with my band, im just gonna plug in and play.

2. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Yea- I agree with ya- but there is a few reasons why it must be so complicated....

1st off- there are roadies trying to justify their existence- everyone has an opinion. True- you may be able to get by with about half of them, but then it's possible that that half you just got rid of is the half that agrees with you about your tone and how much control over it the soundman should have.

2nd- there is good 'ol fashion capitolism. Everyone is trying to build a better mousetrap and make a million bucks off of it. They will tell you 100 different reasons why their direct box is better than the competition's and, by the way, you'll save .99 cents if ya order now...

3rd- there IS the crowd issue. See, if ya go out there sounding like garbage, they will probably hate you, despite the fact that you may be one of the best musicians they have ever had the privilage to lay eyes upon. But they don't know that. They only know that you went out there and because your roadie thought your tone should sound different than what you wanted and that you saved .99 cents on a direct box- they didn't hear you like you wanted them to hear you. And that, my bassplaying friend, is how they will remember you.

In truth- I agree with you completely. It's a complicated hassle to take the same PA or bass rig into different places and get them to sound the same. Rooms are different than an outdoor area- smokey rooms with the heat running have a "softer" sound than say a smoke-free air-conditioned room.

I myself HATE soundchecks with a pshycotic hatred: BUT, because I have the "Love of the game"- I will deal with them.

I tell ya what- Wanna make a million dollars?- MAKE it so that seting up for a gig is as easy as plugging in your bass and goin' to town- I will pay you personally my yearly musician's wage if you can do that...'til then, it's the best system we have...Good luck- and happy Low-End...

3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    sounds good........................ya know... i dont even know what u call al the other junk...pre amps? i have no clue...

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Uhh . . . drugs are bad, mmkay?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    why is it that i invision this post coming from someone looking like this

[​IMG]

seriously though - next time try just cranking up your bass amp on stage so everyone in the hall can hear you. and hear complaints from your speakers blowing, your bandmembers who can't hear anything BUT bass, and your audience who can't hear you. and then you'll realize why there are all the little dealys when you actually want to sound good, avoid feedback, etc...

http://archive.bassplayer.com/gear/ampbasic.shtml

http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq

read both of those and you'll learn everything you need to know about amps.

6. Geshel, I almost crapped myself when I read that....and when I saw that episode.

Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

7. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    yes. drugs are bad... especially since my dad is a cop and so are all of his brothers.:D