1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are bass amps typically rackmount ready

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pineapplehead, Sep 16, 2008.

1. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    whereas most guitar amps are not?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because guitarists generally use tube amps that don't fit in a rack, whereas bassists use amps that do fit in a rack.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO because guitarists have traditionally been sold on the idea that an "amp" includes the whole package with tone shaping, power, and speakers; while bassists have for many years been used to the idea that they may have to carry their amp and signal processors separate from their speaker cab.

4. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    Just about anything will fit in a rack depending on how you orient the circuit board, transformers and tubes. Mesa used to have a rackmount Dual Rectifier but it was discontinued - presumably because no one bought it.

In fact, Mesa and Marshall still have tube preamps and tube power amps, and those are all rackmountable.

5. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    Hmmm.... as a guitarist I'm going to have to disagree. Most professional touring guitarist rackmount their heads and effects. Most cover band guitarists (me included) like tube amp heads with separate speaker cabinets and various floor effects.

Another thing that boggles my mind is why guitar amps don't typically have tuner mutes!! My guitars go out of tune way faster than my bass ever does.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm going to disagree in turn :) because the vast majority of guitarists are not professional touring guitarists. In fact I'd be surprised if professional touring guitarists made up more than .001% of all guitarists.

7. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    True and that's a good point. Still though, as a guitarist, I would say only the very beginner guitarists play combos with effects built in. And anyway, if we're talking about amp heads, those are rarely played by beginners. If anything, guitarists love rack effects.

8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1. Though there are some rackmountable tube bass amps, it's largely impractical due to weight and size.

9. Actually all the working guitarists I know seem to be using modeling combo amps now. Vox Valvetronix, Line 6, etc...

And by working, I mean cover bands/hired guns

10. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    That's weird. Most guitarists I know still aren't into modeling amps. Also it still doesn't explain why guitar amp HEADS are not rackmountable.

As a guitar player / bass player that has owned 8 or 9 guitar heads, I would want a bass head that's built into a shell rather than having to buy a rack to put my head in.

11. like I said, working (day job) guitarists. The Original bands around here won't go near modeling.