1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are bass necks wider at the body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Oct 25, 2006.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I'm wondering this and why they make the strings spread out as they get closer to the body, why not make it a constant width?

2. because it is was one width throughout you would have to compromise: either use the wider spacing and your fretting hand may find it harder, or use the narrower spacing, then finger plucking will be difficult. By widening at the body, you keep the strings close together on the neck for easy fretting, and wider at the body for fingerstyle plucking.
    You could find a compromise width that will work with both hands, but who has time for that? :cool:

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    On some basses the string spacing DOES stay the same all the way up the neck. Generally some taper is a definite plus, however. How much taper you like is all about what you like.

Like a lot? Get a Jazz bass. Like less? Get a Precision. Like almost none? Get a Rickenbacker.

I've played an Alembic that had none at all once. Other than that bass, the 4003 had the least taper I've noticed. For certain playing styles, that straight, untapered neck is faster. For other styles a greater taper helps more. I couldn't slap at all on my Rickenbacker, but I could tap better on it than I can on my Jazz.

Again, it all comes down to what do you need?

4. I am Probably wrong... but I think the fender Performer bass had no taper

5. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    And don't forget the old 1960s Vox with the teardrop shaped body, as played briefly by Bill Wyman. That had no taper and a ridiculously narrow neck. I don't think Danelectro longhorns have much of taper either.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Samisen don't have a taper.

Mind you, as has been said, Ric's don't have a lot, and feel great for fingerstyle but awful for slap. I like my taper to be in the middle, not too far on either side of the fence!

Stanley Clarke, despite having huge hands, apparantley likes a very tight taper on his basses. I can only imagine how odd that must feel on a 30" scale bass!