1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why are bassists always humble and nice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Ok, I am a frequent visitor to lots of different forums on the net: bass, photography, divingwatches, vintage cars, motorcycles, music in general etc. The one thing that strikes me when I post questions and comments on those forums is that the replies to my questions are often with a "not nice, not kind" feeling. Like "stupid question, stop wasting my time!" kind of attitude..

On the other hand when I post here on Talkbass, I always get nice humble opinions and helpful advice. This has got me thinking that perhaps this has got something to do with the bassists role in the band.. getting it together. This role demands a certain way of thinking which in a way reflects the answers and feelings expressed here.

The same thing is experienced when I come to a gig where another band is abuot to play as well, and we (in our band) are playing their rigs. As always the bassist is nice and gentle, while the drummer (of the other band) is going "dont change this, dont move those etc etc" the guitarrists are also more of that unkind kind. This never happened to me as a bassist. More often we bassists end up discussing important stuff like gear, influences, what audience we can expect etc.

Perhaps this nice approach has got to do with the lower frequency of our thicker strings, and more relaxed feeling in general?

What do you think?

Sorry, this got long.. hope I got my point through! :)

Note: Not all replies i have got from other forums have been unkind, BUT I have never received an unkind answer here! :)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Have you ever posted in the DB part of the forum!!?? ;)

3. No, I have stayed away from those dark cursed tombs ;)

4. A few months back, I went to a small guitar workshop by this guy "Josie Thomans", a session guitarist. He did mention that guitarists tends to keep everything to themselves, and rarely want to share with other guitarists, but drummers and bassists, they can just sit down and chat with each other without knowing each other!

Well, I guess the guitarists normally felt threatened around other guitarists, since they are so many of them! :D

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In reality it's a pretense to get you hooked and shell out 20$, just like giving dope out for free, really. :p

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The superior man has no need to flaunt his superiority....(cough, cough):)

7. 'Cause we are just dang coo' :)

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    People here are not 'always' nice. I would say they are nice most of the times. The difference with TB may be the 'forum rules' and it's enforcement.
    The Moderators here do a great job in 'keeping the piece'. That's the main difference here IMO.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You mean they're "packin' heat" !!!??

No wonder people are nice to them - I never knew!! :eek:

;)

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME?! :mad:

11. Back in the day I used to videotape a lot of bands. If I ever needed a straight answer from someone I'd ask the bass player. Guitarists and lead singers were always either doing coke in the bathroom, trying to get laid or fishing for compliments, the drummer was always busy packing out his gear (and looking none too happy about it) but the bass player always seemed to know what was going on and have some ability to actually interface with other human beings.

-M

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    in San Antonio, there are a few really decent bassists and some are nice, but there are a few that think they are the $***. what they don't know is that they lack soul and groove when they perform - it's kinda of funny, if they only were able to listen to themselves play. no matter how good you are - there is always someone out there much better - that's just the beauty of music - never stop learning...

Austin, Houston Area and Dallas has great bass players and from what i have seen - those cats will bend over backwards for you - they are really, really laid back. usually when i see any bass player perform and am able to talk with them, i do my best to find out what they are working on. this is a great way to supplement any stuff you are working on.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Strangely, after a lot of the bar band gigs I do... people do this to me too. I never really thought about that. Especially the ladies... :eek:

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -the system set in place here works, far better than most other sites. There is a bit of restriction in place on what you can and can not say, I choose to be a part of this site because I feel that the peace (no hand guns that I know of Bruce) is very much worth curbing my tongue once in a while.

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

Mr. Smith is probably correct. We are forced, in a sense, here at TB to play nicely. Nothing wrong with that. Rules are a good thing.

The Dudepit is pretty good too. However, there are a few hecklers everywhere.

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think that you're on to something. I don't think that picking up a bass makes a person be nice - I think that nice people will pick up a bass. I think that people who are humble and nice tend to be drawn to the bass when choosing an instrument on which to express themselves - they are the type of person who wants to make music for the sake of the music and are willing to play a highly important role that they are not very likely to receive much credit for.
    I think that people who are not as humble or nice will tend to either want to stand out in the spotlight a lot more or have a 'pounding out aggressions' type of approach to an instrument and will likely look to lead guitar or drums as their choice of instrument.
    As far as this website goes - I do think that the forum rules and hard work from the mods are a big part of what keeps everybody in line.

17. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    5{age at TB > 12

I've met bassists that were jerks (though they weren't very good ones). For one, I think it's something to do with an understanding of the nature of an instrument. No one really notices it, so those that take it up accept that.

EDIT: Oopsy, silly me. Taking math class next semester.

18. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    This happend about a year ago. I went to get a haircut, and I had been there a couple of times. The lady cutting my hair was chatting with me about music. She asked me if I was in a band. I told her yes, I play bass. She "that does not suprise me, you seem like the quite supportive type."

I felt warm and fuzzy. :D

I think though the politeness you see here. Is because of the people and the vigilance of the moderators. Nice, polite, firm and very fair.

19. Hmm.. are you sure about that? Just checking so that you dont mean >12?! ;)

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ok, you can have your cat back now.