1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why are Canadian 3 piece bands so good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by millsbass5, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Damn. I ran across some Triumph clips on You Tube earlier. And, I'm ashamed to say that they've actually slipped from my mind for a few years. And now? My ears are threatening to kick my brains ass for forgetting about 'em. What a great, great 3-piece band.
    Some people may give me hell for what I'm about to say here,but....... These guys are really similar to RUSH in a whole lot of ways. Sure, Mike Levine sported a double-necked Ric on occasion, and played keys, too. Also, they had not one, BUT TWO(!!!) killer vocalists in Gil Moore and Ric Emmett, with both of 'em having that "Holy Grail-like" quality that's a must for hard-rock. Which is both of 'em being blessed with vocal ranges so high, that they could probably shatter glass (Remember the old Memorex commercials? "Is it live, or is it Memorex?")lol) And, most obviously, they're a 3-piece.
    They seem to have some progressive-rock qualities, but nowhere to the extent of RUSH. IMHO, I think they were the...... I think RUSH would've sounded spooky similar to each other if RUSH would've taken a more an uhh, "radio-friendly/top 40 approach" to writing music. With the exception of Neil Peart's lyrical approach, of course.

Above is one of their more popular songs. It definitely showcases their musicianship and, of course those KILLER-ASS vocals!!

2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Let me add a few more 3 piece Canadian bands

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush were a 3 piece for their first 7 albums. They crossed blues rock with progressive rock.

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    A couple more Canadian 3 piece bands

The Tea Party

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I will add another Canadian 3 piece band to the mix.

The Jeff Healey Band

5. Canadians are just awesome, period. I'm sure we could have good threads about the amazing talent of Canadian 4 piece bands, 5 piece bands, etc etc etc.

Go Canada! :)

6. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I heard that the Canadian government requires that some percentage of music played on Canandian radio must be Canadian originated content. This creates the market for Canadian talent. Can anyone confirm this?

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yeah Bfunk, it is called CANCON 30% of music has to be by Canadians.

Fun fact: Did you know Hearts old records qualify as CANCON because their guitarist was a draft dodger and became a Canuck.

I will agree that Triumph sounds like old Rush, back before when they were a rock band, nothing about Triumph is remotely progressive, they would be closer associated with hair metal. I knew that link would be lay it on the line...

Frank and MH rush though, they are some kick butt Canuck prog. For those who think Stampeders only did sweet city woman, check out Wild Eyes. Buddy and I were listening to some old records and this song came on from one of the compilations, we were floored that this was the same band.

8. KCLRbass

KCLRbass

Sep 5, 2011
    Toronto
  9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Triumph... oh yeah.

I played the grooves off the Allied Forces album back in my high school days. Got to the point I could play every song on that record note perfect on my bass.

One track of theirs that I really like from later was called "Headed for Nowhere" and there's a guest appearance by Steve Morse. He and Emmitt do some tradeoffs in that song that are just wicked.

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I'd be ok with that for the most part!

Go Geddy!:bassist:

11. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I would contend that it's not that Canadian 3 piece bands are so good per se...

...it's that there aren't any good Canadian bands with more than 3 pieces!

:duck:

12. banikek

banikek

Sep 14, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't forget about Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet! My favorite Canadian 3-pcs.

13. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Because it's cold, and their women are ugly

14. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Triumph was a staple of my high school radio days, and I dug them. I have a couple of their albums on CD still. Love it!

15. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You've obviously never been to Montreal. :D

16. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    There are hot ladies everywhere. I saw some lookers when I was up there last time. I just couldn't resist.

17. rollin$tone

rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    PRACTICE! There's not much to do when it's COLD outside! Except for the 'hotties!'

18. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    You just couldn't resist what?
    ;)

19. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    The first time I saw a picture of Triumph I was shocked at the alternate universe Rush that I was looking at!
    White blousey silk shirts
    Handlebar mustache
    Double necks
    Rickenbacker bass
    Bass player doubling on keys w Taurus pedals
    Singer with a really high voice
    Don't remember if there was an es335 or not.
    I thought that Rush would have to sue them for copping their look so completely.
    Favorite song: The Blinding Light Show.
    Couldn't stand the drummer's songs/vocals.
    Tried to listen to them recently and could only hack a few songs.

20. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, plenty of practice time when it is cold - plenty of beer too