Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are children's songs demented?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    We've all thought about it... anyone know why?

Three Blind Mice
    Rock A By Baby
    Go Tell Aunt Roadie is a bit psyco...

Go Tell Aunt Roadie, go tell aunt roadie, go tell aunt roadie her old grey goose is dead.

And this list goes on... was it old tradition to give kids nightmares?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh... I forgot one... Orgasm Through Torture by Cannibal Corpse.

3. A personal favorite of mine as a child....;)

wait...did i just say that outloud.

and yes....they were designed to give children nightmares.....i mean, come on

three blind mice
    three blind mice
    see how they run
    they all ran after the farmers wife
    who cut off their tails with a carving knife
    did you ever see such a thing in your life
    as three blind mice

ok....blind mice, either with a fetish for farmers wives, which would be strange for a rodent. Or, considering they are blind, we can assume they were only following they noises the farmers wife was making (carving knife used to chop up greenery possibly). And what are the odds that three blind mice would be all in the same vacinity....and the farmers wife would have the dexterity enough to cut off all of their tails in one fell swoop...and manage to amputate nothing else.

its some sort of ploy to me....not sure what....but its there all right

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think it's because children are demented. C'mon everyone think back to your childhood... and be honest, you were a nut!

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Why are YOU so demented Matt Till ;):oops:

6. They're demented because I WROTE THEM ALL!!!

7. oh yeah; "ring aroung the rosies", that one's about the plague.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Whoa, I just noticed that Matt's StupidMatt again! What gives? And it's not just children's songs; most of the old fairy tales in their original form are gruesome and violent. Kids like that stuff.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    see also: The TMNT thread

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's because of the songs and fairy tales.

Oh yeah, stupidmatt is back by popular demand.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    and I hate my last name. I'm proud of my ancestors, but... I don't like my last name. Actually Till isn't suppose to be my last name, my sweedish ancestors were fighting in a war, and like 19 of the soldiers had the same last name, so my great great great great grandpa (or something like that) out of all the last names in the world, chose Till. Not "Stabmaster" not "Cop Killa"... Till.

12. I would have picked "The Conqueror" or "The Mack"

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    children are demented, so their songs are demented.

and if you think 'Till' is bad, try living in wisconsin and having 'Braatz' for a last name. :( i've started to wince when i tell people it :(

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I didn't know Braatz is your last name. I think that's pretty cool. The double vowels make it pretty pizzlestains in my opinion.

15. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    How 'bout Farthing for a last name. I'd get calls from these really witty people at 3:00 in the morning asking me if I was f@rting. I'm not listed any more. Don't even try to find my phone number, I don't have a phone :p