Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are Fender amps so expensive/ Are Hartkes any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Z_Bass, May 16, 2003.

1. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Those are the two questions I'd like to ask.
    Fender amps... for the same wattage/impedance they are so much more expensive than other amps, and from what I know Fender amps arent all that great either. Why??? Hartkes... are they any good?

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Which fender amps? Some hartke's are good, The aluminum cones speaker cabinets are pretty nice.

3. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Well first of all nobody uses the Frontman series. But are Bassman amps good? They look like a rip off.

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I dont know about the fromtman series, but the bassman series is awesome. They are a little pricey, but they sound great.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fender amps aren't more expensive than comparable amps, they're cheaper. I've played through a Bassman 400 2x10 combo several times, and was very impressed with the sound. Compare the price of the Bassman to that of the SWR Super Redhead or Eden Metro, the amps against which it was designed to compete.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive played through the Bassman400 2x10 a few times myself and I think its a great sounding amp and the price is very reasonable for it. I think it sounds better than the SWR Super Redhead.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The old BXR amps weren't very good though... I've never heard great sound come out of any of them. Their new series is pretty nice.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I like both of my fender amps. I have a BassMan 200 that i use for everything from big band on upright [i have to do some MAJOR EQing when using the upright bass though] to Show Choir Band on the Ray5. The other fender amp i have is a bedroom practice amp in that of a BXR 15-my first amp. It's good for practicing in my room. Thats all

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I used to own a BXR 100, I thought it sounded pretty good.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with Munji and Casanova: the Bassman400 2x10 is a pretty nice combo for the price. I also use an older BXR 60 as a practice amp and it's clean and does the job nicely. Well worth the dough if you don't need much wattage, as in a practice situation and it has a headphone jack if you need it.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I had a BXR 400 for years and it was great once I attached it to some decent speakers. The matching BXR speaker cabs were awful. I can't bring myself to buy an Eminance loaded cab ever again after that experience, though I'm apparently being silly about that......

12. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i have a Fender Bassman 100 that i got for $499 at Guitar Center...not on sale :-( anyway, i think it has excellent tone... but it is damn heavy, i had to buy a hand truck to tote it around but it still sucks to lug up a stairs, and the high end volume will make it clip.... in a gig or full practice with a drummer and 2 guitars it CANNOT hold its own. in mini practice it's fine though...but is 60lbs necessary for mini practice? i wish i had something, smaller, lighter, louder and cheaper...

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Although I thought they sounded pretty good (afterall wouldnt have bought it if it didnt) I do agree, when I used the line out, it always sounded 10 fold better than just using the speaker it came with.

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I have a Bassman 100 and it's great for what I use it for: church and practice (when I don't feel like lugging the bigger rig). Like tyson said above, it's not gonna cut it vs. 2 guitars and a loud drummer unless you use the DI and play through the PA.
    It does have some nice features, nice tone, and is an overall solid amp. I agree it is heavy.

15. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    At Bass Day 2001 Ray Randeau (sp?) played through a Bassman 400 (i think) with two Fender 4x10 cabs... I thought it sounded great... I was very impressed.

16. I personally do not know of any serious working bassist who plays thru a fender rig. Unless it's part of a backline. I'm sure I'll hear from some now though...
    If you play Rock or Funk the only amp to have is an older early 70's SVT head. If you look when bands do SNL or Late Night etc. you will 9 times out of 10 see an old SVT rig being used. Nothing comes close to that warm phat tube sound. The Mesa Boogie tube amp is also quite nice.
    Now I don't know that i'd recommend an SVT for the Jazzmen out there, probably an Eden head or SWR would suit them better. But for Rock or Funk nothing comes close to an old SVT.
    They are worth every penny. You can grab one from $800 to $1,500 u.s.. Get the ones with the black knobs and white switches (early 70's).
    I recently saw Macy Gray and her bassist (a funk monster) was using an "ashworth" never heard of them, had a real retro look (VU meter and everythang). But it had a great phat sound close to that of the SVT.
    As far as solid state goes I always had succes with GK heads, 800RB great for clubs and such. But it simply does not compare to the SVT tube sound.
    Peace

17. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i'm not an expert but mr. google pointed to "Ashworth," a maker of acoustic pickups:
    http://www.ashworthelectronics.co.uk/

do you mean Ashdown? the site says Adam Clayton uses this rig now...
    http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/content.asp?product=ABM 500 EVO Head
    http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/content.asp?product=ABM 810 Cabinet
    wow!

18. You know what? after visiting the Ashdown web site it was in fact an ashdown amp I saw Macy Gray's bassist using. The ABM 500 watt combo w/4x10 was the beast. It sounded incredible. Big Phat tube sound in what I think is a solid state set up.
    Although I was leaning on the stage I had a hard time reading the amp's logo.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'm gonna have to go try one of these puppies out.
    Peace

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is it just me or does she sound like Donald Duck?

20. I guess it's subjective, but after seeing her live she is the SH*T. She is incredibly captivating. Spellbinding. A total pro. One of a kind to be sure.
    Her band was smokin' hot too. I highly recommend her show for any of you funksters out there.

A gal called "Lamya" opened for her and was very very good as well. Kind of a pop billy holiday.

Peace