1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are Fender Geddy Lee jazz basses so much cheaper than the others?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by terribilino, Mar 16, 2009.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Just wondering.

Thanks.

2. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Cheaper than WHAT others? It's one of the pricier MIM Jazz basses.

EDIT; OK, sorry, made in Japan. Still, not sure what the OP was comparing it too.

3. Its made in Japan...not Mexico

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    They're probably on the cheaper side if you buy used, but their MSRP has just gone up another couple hundo. I think they're around $1000 at Guitar Center now, which is a lot for a CIJ - I got mine for $799 new a few years ago.

If you compare the street price of a used one, it's one of the best deals you can come across. They go for about 500-700 on Ebay or Craiglist which is about the same price as other used MIJ/CIJ Fenders. I just got a CIJ 62 RI Jazz used for $600 w/ Lindy Fralins and it stomps mud-holes in my Geddy. :p

5. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I live in Switzerland, and the price I'm seeing on the website from a shop in Zurich shows 1,960 franks for a standard American black-and-white jazz bass

http://www.musik-produktiv.ch/fender-american-standard-jazzbass-rw-blk.aspx

as opposed to 1,440 franks for a Geddy Lee:

http://www.musik-produktiv.ch/fender-signature-jazzbass-geddy-lee.aspx

But I guess I got my answer: MIA means more money.

Thanks!

6. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Because Geddy Lee is such a cheap guy.

7. the engine

the engine Guest

Because it's made in Japan I suppose. But don't let that stop you. I've played the Geddy and the Marcus Miller 4 (also Japan) and they are some of the best built basses I have ever held. The Geddy is known for a very thin neck though. If you like that kind of thing, GO FOR IT! Good luck.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Given how insane Fender prices have become, this isn't a bad question - particularly since this is one of the most highly regarded of Fender's basses. Heck, I do NOT like offshored Fenders nor do I like "Signature" basses - but I *do* like the GL Jazz bass and I'd own one should I need a J bass again.

9. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Hooray! Someone thinks they are low priced again!!!!:hyper:

10. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    ... cheaper.

11. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    The GL Jazz Bass is cheaper because thats what Geddy wanted from the outset- something that was well built at an affordable price. Its been my experience that Japanese Fenders are excellent basses for the money- both my GL and MIA P bass are similar in craftsmanship- no drop off from either side of the Pacific ;)