why are guitarists so spoiled?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bon viesta, Jun 18, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    think of vintage reissue amps. yes… yes, that’s right… now take away the ones that have been discontinued and you cannot buy anymore… yes that’s right… okay and now take away the ones that cost nearly 3000-4000+ bucks for a full head and cabinet set up… what do you have left? nothing, probably. guitarists are spoiled, man. they get vox amps just like back in the day, dozens and dozens of vintage reissue fender amps, they get laney vintage reissue amps, they get marshall amps, and what do we have to fill that vintage hole in our hearts? a 2000 buck svt bass head, with a cabinet that goes from either 500-1000+ bucks. we have some hybrid bassman amp heads that cost 1000 bucks and with cabinets that cost 600-1500 bucks. and lastly we have two other tube bassman heads that cost around 1700 bucks. i get that guitar is more popular and therefore the money is there but come on man, give us some more stuff!!!! yes that’s right, i’m talking to YOU important company executive who can do exactly what i’m asking you to do. but really, we only have ampeg and some rather lack-luster (in the context of being some kind of vintage reissue) bassman heads and cabinets. acoustic had a reissue for all of a few years, we had b15 reissues, but they went away unfortunately. does anyone else find themselves a bit disappointed at the lack of reissue bass amps in comparison to all of the ones guitarists get to choose from?

fhm555 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Perhaps you have missed the fact that bass amps and cabinets have evolved to MUCH higher performance than in the good ‘ol days, while at the same time getting smaller, lighter and less expensive.

Guitarists are focused on different aspects than bass players (in general) and bass amps have evolved to keep pace with their needs. Guitar amps have evolved in different ways however.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Companies are about numbers. You mentioned several reissue bass amps that were discontinued. Had those amps sold in large quantities, they would still be around. Period.

So, simply stated, apparently there aren't many of you out there. There aren't many bass players who are willing to plunk down cash for a reissue bass head. If there were more of you, amp companies would he clamoring to sell you products.

Also, the industry as a whole is going the other way. Ampless and tiny amps are taking over the market. Sure, guitar tone snobs are getting on board a little slower than bass players. So they will still make tube combos for guitar.

Traynor has several bass offerings that are reissues.

What heads/cabs would you like to see a reissue of? And what price point do you think they could be manufactured/sold at?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Murch, SLO Surfer, Loring and 12 others like this.
  4. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    Outside a few exceptions, there wasn't really a lot of old bass amps that sounded good enough to reissue imo. The modern offerings can handle vintage tones and still be able to push a drop A tuned 5 string without out farting out and weighing under 200 LBS.

5. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    The pedal makers are capitalizing on your reservation by cloning or replicating the preamp sections of a lot of these discontinued amps. If you search hard enough you can get close to what you’re looking for in a tiny package.

6. Nope

Loring, gtirard, smeet and 12 others like this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    As an example, the Walkabout which was started production about 20 years ago was replaced by the WD-800. Rather than simply reissue the amp, we used the opportunity to listen to what bass players wanted in the replacement based on an extensive discussion here on TB.

The changes accurately represent player preferences (not all but most) that have evolved in 20 years. Had we simply reissued the Walkabout, it would not have been successful. (In this case though, we couldn’t have just reissued because some essential parts had been discontinued, so we used it as an opportunity to take the concept to the next level). If somebody really “needs” a Walkabout, they are plentiful on the used market.

8. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    My GK 400RB and Barefaced Super Twin is louder, cleaner, and weighs a fraction of what my old Traynor Custom Special w/8-10" cabinet, or my Fender 300PS w/2x15s did, so no thanks.

9. No, not at all. There's not a single vintage bass amp in the world that I personally have the slightest nostalgia for. For my tastes, there are many, many modern choices that are vastly better in every way that matters.

Not putting down anybody else's tastes at all, but not everybody loves vintage bass gear. Different strokes, and all that.

(As a guitarist also, I'm inclined to feel that guitarists, if anything, tend to make TOO much of a fetish of old stuff and vintage reissues. But that's only my individual opinion, and slightly OT here anyway.)

dxb, BBassBassington, SteveCS and 7 others like this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:D no --- can't say that i am! :laugh:

:roflmao:

those guys use all those choices to avoid practicing! ;)

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    <Killjoy mode>Nope, didn't like them at all for bass then and wouldn't like them now.</mode>

Loring, SteveCS, two fingers and 4 others like this.
  12. Rottie Roo Roo

Rottie Roo Roo Supporting Member

I think technological advancements have rendered vintage reissues redundant. The tech's getting good, man.

If you want the sound of a vintage amp, you can get the sound of anything in the world from pedals, DAWs, software, hardware, you name it, grab your iPad and download the tone you're after and the chips and circuits will make it happen.

If you want a vintage amp, you can go out and buy a vintage amp.

I'm not saying that's the only way to see it, but the world seems to see it my way else the market would bear more options.

SteveCS and agedhorse like this.
  13. The vocalist gets to show up, sing and leave. Call the waaaahmbulance.:bawl:

Admiral Akbar and Ellery like this.
  14. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I love that Aged Horse was the first to reply.

Personally? The SVT head (and maybe some Sunn stuff) is probably all I'd ever want to see reissued. But there are plenty of SVTs around already.

Everything else? I'll take AgedHorse's new designs of modern stuff every time.

(Except MAYBE a Mesa D180 reissue. THAT would be amazeballs. Or a 200-Watt Mesa 400+)

Murch, Loring, gtirard and 10 others like this.
  15. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    I'm all for a reissue of the Trace Elliot V series. Only vintage amps I like, even if they're from the 90s

BassNugget, Wasnex and agedhorse like this.
  16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The market for overpriced, overweight, underperforming reissue amps is miniscule.

Loring, fredo66, DrMole and 5 others like this.
  17. Would I want Buick to reissue 73 Riviera? Nope

DrMole, ctmullins, HardNHeavy and 8 others like this.
  18. Disappointed?

Nope, not at all. Bass amps and cabs are so much better now.

BlueTalon, SteveCS, gebass6 and 5 others like this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Frankly, I have no interest in vintage bass amps - back when bassists got reconfigured guitar amps. Even the SVT originally was designed for guitar

gebass6, rickwebb and agedhorse like this.
  20. As well, isn’t that what “modeling” is these days.. re issuing the sound from the classics, kinda?

Max Bogosity likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021