1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why are Jazz Basses discouraged from being used in hard rock and metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean775, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I sometimes come across posts that say that the single coils don’t work well in heavier genres, yet Martin Mendez of Opeth uses a Fender Jazz, Tim Commerford of RATM and Audioslave used a Jazz, the guy from Soundgarden used it on their early albums, etc.

BradH and Ellery like this.
  2. Whoever says that is
    A). Largely full of it. They work great.
    B). Probably the P or nothing type, either is afraid to try new things or too lazy to mix a J because admittedly, Ps just sit WELL. Grow a pair, lazy sound guy. You just might like it.
    C). Encouraging the P-trolls :D

3. John Cribbin

John Cribbin

Jan 5, 2018
    Often people read something on the internet and repeat it as a fact.

No evidence required.

BassholeKI, Ikkir, web824 and 32 others like this.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    The biggest thing I can think of is the weight. A lot of those acts involve being very active on stage. If it were me, I'd want a lighter instrument on my shoulder as I'm jumping around night after night.

5. Source?

6. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    :headphone::headphone::headphone:

TheDominoKid, aldaa and Wulfensteiner like this.
  7. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Huh. First time I’ve ever heard that.

8. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    my useless opinion; dividing music into genres inevitably creates cliques, and the opinion of those cliques has an enormous impact on what gear you buy. funnily enough, when the jazz bass debuted, the jazz gatekeepers HATED it. it could never replace the double bass, they said, and it was doomed to failure. seems to have worked out alright. or when Dylan went electric? there were shagging riots. over a guitar.

now, there are legitimate reasons an instrument may not suit a certain style. a snappy, all-maple bass probably wouldn't work well for dub. a mudbucker probably wouldn't work for metal (no mids.) it's really about finding the tool that will work best, with minimal finagling. a socket wrench is great at tightening bolts, but if you want to hammer a nail with it, it's gonna take some work. a hammer can drive a nail real easy, but isn't so great with bolts.

that being said, most "metal" basses are mahogany or basswood with dual humbuckers and an active three-band EQ. it's a generic design that works well across multiple genres. any genre, really. but musicians are lazy and err towards what they "should" be buying.

also, Jason Newsted play(ed)(s?) a Sadowsky jazz. I don't think you'll find anyone who'll argue that he's not heavy enough.

9. AJFA notwithstanding :( yes, I'm STILL peeved about that :D

infamusblkdeath and rufus.K like this.
  10. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    haha, "shagging." I love censored forums.

11. Hey man, if you wanna say FK, say 'funk' instead. They can't knock us for relevant creativity!

In a sentence: "Are we children?! We can funkin curse if we wanna!" :D

retslock and InhumanResource like this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I haven't read that here before. Interesting.

Find YOUR voice on YOUR instrument and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

13. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I feel bad for those that can't converse without profanity- disguised or not.

14. I feel bad for people who have the humor sense of a work boot :D

15. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    It’s ok to use s jazz bass for other styles of music.

If you’d like, you can change the name on the head stock to match the style of music you play.

16. giphy.

17. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    One of the great things about music is that as soon as someone says "x doesn't work well for y", someone will come along and prove that person very wrong.

Play whatever you want with whatever you want.

18. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    I have yet to play a bass that isn’t suitable for any genre of music. Play whatever music you like on whatever instrument you like.

retslock, Staccato, Korladis and 6 others like this.
  19. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

huh, never heard that before.

all i know is when i started playing bass in the early 80's, a big influence was the metal scene. maiden. ozzy. and judas priest.

when the concert videos from 'metal day' at the US festival in '83 made their way to cable tv, the one i recorded (love betamax!) and played over and over was priest's set. ian hill was working a fender jazz. no way anyone can say that priest in their prime wasn't heavy. :bassist:

Arthur U. Poon, frankp69 and PWRL like this.
  20. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Well, when you've had to discipline people for every creative way to curse you can think of, it kind of loses it's humor. I curse a lot on real life, bad habit. It's not hard to not do it online though. I just don't see the obsession some have with needing to use profanity.