Why are MECs so..."bad"???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stop_drop_pop33, Sep 3, 2002.

1. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    i have MEC 9's in a j-config on my thumb. why are they so bad? you guys seem to care less about them.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have P/J MECs on my Streamer, and it kicks ass. I wouldn't think of changing them.
  3. How about because TWO of the sets that came stock in my Warwicks died, one set in the middle of a live set. Ok it was the preamps but I don't care. Two times is a pattern and the replacements for both sounded so much richer and more robust...MEC is crap and I have owned three Warwicks with 'em.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The volume pot went. After dealing with the brainless importer and dealer for TWO MONTHS. I was honoured with having to pay £30 for a pot.

Two days later the pan pot went down. Mid gig. Band full of pro/semi pro gospel musicians and amateur me. 1000 people in the audience.

I ripped out the MEC pups and preamp I want nothing to do with them again. The Alembic PVF system is awesome.
  5. Good choice..I have replaced my MEC's w full Alembic systems in both of my current 'Wicks ('90 Dolphin5, '00 Thumb5.) The change was seriously dramatic. Huge, open, wide....very fine. Those alembic filters are very cool.
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    That's interesting I took a sneak listen at your mp3 site a while back and the bass sounded good to me. Now I find that you use Alembic PVF's in Warwicks...great minds think alike.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What does that look like, with all the extra Alembic knobbies? or are the PVF systems better designed for retrofitting?
  8. Thanks for the props CS...My Alembi-Wick has the "signature series" electronics with a tone filter and 3-pos.Q switch for each PU. It has a volume and pan as well but I think now that maybe a seperate volume control for each is not a bad idea? I have a WAXY56 "fatboy" in the neck (huge sound!!) and a regular MXY56 in the rear. I chose Alembic because the sound is very natural, open and "unhyped" to my ears. I get a very wonderful sound from them, much better than the MEC junk or even the Bart's that were this Dolphin5 of mine. The MEC preamp is what died in that one, onstage of course.

9. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Nice bass not so sure about the hair:) (btw my hair has to be referred to in the past tense).
  10. Hey! I love my tripped out 'do! It's fairly low key in that shot..usually it's reachin' for the sky. "The taller the hair, the closer to god!"

11. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    LOL BTW it's after 1am UK I'm tired bye
  12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    The MECs in my Thumb are going on 4 years of great sound and reliability. I won't touch them untill they cause a problem.