1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are old-headstock SXs (Essex) so much more expensive now?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommygunn, May 12, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I was searchin through old listings here and people have em for like $120-140. I remember them being $100 new, or is the old head stock just that much better?

2. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    It is just that much better.

They are vintage now. They always were, even the headstock said so.

3. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    there's no good answer for this question

4. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    You can't just go buy a 66' Fender new.

In this case, a 2009 SX with normal headstock.

5. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    See I wanted to have a 34" maple fretless p or j but nooooo.... everybody has been listing them for over $100. My budget isn't very big, especially when it's on a second fretless.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Ok. I'll go sell my dirnt for $350 now cause obviously when any bass is used, it's worth more.

7. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Many people prefer the 'fender' look of the headstocks. It makes it very easy to mod into an imitation vintage fender so they don't mind raising the prices. They are THAT much better then the current SX basses. That new head is just ugly.

8. see sig

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I like the old headstock but am not willing to pay an extra $50 on it over a new SX. I'd rather weigh my chances on the old headstock coming back or Kurt finding a old headstock in the warehouse or a single neck going up by it's self.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    In most cases a used SX is in better playing shape than a new SX. Many have had fretjobs, setups, etc, or even different pickups, tuners, etc.

And... the new headstock is inexcusable IMHO. I'd be willing bet money that their sales have drastically declined.

11. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I don't doubt it. But some were saying "stock" and still like $120. I can intonate (well enough) and setup a bass on my own, I don't think the $20 makes up for that. It seems a shame to me!

Wow. These aren't even remotely close situations.

12. I honestly prefer the new headstock. But, I'm one of those strange bassists that doesn't care for Fender.

13. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010

Yeah, yeah....if you were PRACTICING like you shoulda been you wouldn't have jumped on this in the 10 seconds or so it took me to come to my senses and delete that utter nonsense.

14. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH this is an amazing thread in the works

15. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    ^^^Spam gui**** sig?

Anyways. It's called chances. I looked at it when you posted. Wow, how could that possibly happen!? :eek:

16. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    was that to me? what does that even mean? :meh:

17. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    No... stepswork4me

Only comments I ever hear like that are from socially awkward gui****s.

18. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    bassists*

19. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    QUE?

Anyways back on topic

20. No Sir, I am a bassist 100%. It was from a Craigslist ad. A guy was lookin' for a bass player and didn't get any responses so he posted this. I thought it was hilarious and had to sig it.