1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are people naming their basses female names?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by crusie, Nov 1, 2010.

1. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    I'm really not trying to troll here, I just always wondered what on earth makes people name their basses names like lucille, Stacia and the likes.
    think of it this way - we use terms like "low action" "sturdy" "solid" "big neck" "growl", "thick/wolly"

see... I could understand if a bass was called Oda, or Bertha - you know names that screams old russian grandma, who served food near some unstable reactor or something. perhaps even one of those grandmothers who lived on a farm and chopped the head of the chickens that you ate for dinner.

What I'm saying is - I'd rather describe my bass as an old farmers wife, or perhaps a ladyboy (you know for the low end in the voicing...)
    not really what I'd think of with a bass called "louise"

just my mini rant.

2. Not me, man. I play a HE-cision. :cool:

3. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey, it started with ships, and cars? My first car was an old, black VW that I named 'Thelma' after the oldest teacher that was still working in my HS.
    My basses have names, and not all of them are female names...

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I don't name my basses, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable strapping on and running my fingers all over something called Jack.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

5. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    P bass = male
    J bass = female

6. I like to touch sexy women- big Russian ladies & farmer's wives are for cartoons & dirty jokes. That said, I have given a couple of my basses titles- *The Most Beautiful Bass In The World*, *The Most Beautiful Bass Of All Time*- but not names

7. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    Well who want's to hold a dude in there hands all the time? I'm not here to judge...I'm just sayin'...

8. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I would rather think that I am sliding my hands through Carol's neck than through Rick's neck. :p
    Just saying, I don't name my basses either.

9. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    hahahah nice!

music man = male
    ...... stuck on another female.

10. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    Because they have the same shape
    (move your hands in the hourglass shape)
    Because they have long necks
    Because we love to finger them incessantly while holding them close to our body
    Because we love it when they sit on our laps
    Because they always have their G String on
    Because they moan when we pluck them

Any more questions?

;):bassist::D:hyper:

11. I have always given my basses female names. Why? I don't know. Sweet female names are probably more inspiring to me and come to mind easier than ugly names or male names.
    Also, as said by others, I prefer having my fingers on Veronika, Riley and Sofia (FWIW, names of my 3 current basses) than on Oda, Bertha or whatever else.

12. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    true - I can understand that you rather want your hands on Veronica than Oda... but I'm talking bigger strings, thick necks, growly sound... I just see a lot of masculinity in a bass, and if it were a female it would be an Oda or Bertha to me... after all you do know what they say about ugly women.... they are great players right ? :p

13. aztomr

aztomr

Oct 5, 2010
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My friend always takes sh*t for naming his guitar "Mel", the joke being its full name is "Mel" Gibson( an SG). My bass( a Rickenbacker 4003) is called Rick. :bassist:

14. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    hey i am going to grab jim & play him all night long. switch that to Sarah & you have your answer.

15. Because Bertha is better than Bruno!

16. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    So my p/j is a hermaphrodite?!

17. icytoast

icytoast

Nov 23, 2008
    I decided not to give it a male or female name, I named my bass Crabhammer because its red and because of the Krabby sticker on it. Pokemon reference ftw!

18. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I recently started naming my basses, and most, but not all are female. For me, it's more of a sentimental thing, three out of the four with names are named after ex girlfriends, for one reason or another.

19. I don't really give my basses gender-based names, so much as I name them according to their appearance or such. For instance, my white frankensteined fretless p-bass I named Whitey, my amber-colored Warwick I named Goldie, etc. One notable name difference is I had one of the cheap first-run Ibanez SRX-300 basses that everytime I played it seemed like it got the chicks up and dancing, so I named it The Majick Stick :p And the new peacock blue Cirrus I just picked up I named the Blue Meanie.

20. judeix808

judeix808

Oct 2, 2010
    Hilo, HI

Thumbs up for the pro wrestling reference. :cool: :p :D