1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are people so cheap?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    As I might have mentioned before, I sometimes help out my friend who owns a carry-out pizza joint. Latley I have been getting a lot of cheap @-holes who don't tip when I deliver their food. I got a 50 cent tip, followed by an 11 cent tip, followed by a 15 cent tip, followed by a dude who shorted me 10 cents.

What the hell is wrong with these people?

For the record, one thing I learned is that many places have "bad lists", and when someone on that bad list orders, they spit in their food (among other things), shake up their 2 liters, and purposly leave the food out to get cold, while taking an extra 15-20 minuts for delivery. I can proudly say I engaged in this behavior with some of these prick's food, and I'm not scared to admit it.

2. I always tip my pizza guy. He's even made friends with my dogs :D Last year on Christmas eve we had party start, rather unplanned. He must have delivered 5 times that night, everyone was ordering and tipping him like crazy. I'll bet he made out really well!!!

3. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    pretty rude, but the pizza itself is already pretty pricey.
    i can get a freschetta for 6 bucks that's as good or better than pizza hut

4. I think if anyone that lives from tips and they do a good job being cheap isn't good and next time you'll get what you pay for. It's not normal for us to tip over here because the people are already paid full pays. Over in the states I was reminded to tip for obvious reasons and the service was exceptional. Worth every cent.

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Well that's it. I am baking my own from now on. :eek:

6. My GF is living Ann Arbor MI at the moment and says that tipping over there is almost compulsory. You ALWAYS tip waiter/esses, delivery boys, taxi drivers etc. I, as a rule, always tip anyway (being an ex-cabbie). BUT, I don't believe it should be expected. It should be a way expressing ones gratitude for an above average level of service. Waiting, delivering and driving are these peoples job. That's what they get paid for. In my mind, expecting to be tipped everytime is arrogance. But maybe thats just me. Or maybe it's from living in a country where tipping is considered a priveledge.

7. I always tip the pizza guy at least a buck. Heck, I even tip the girl at Sonic who brings the food to my car!

Does this pizza place charge extra for delivery? If so, maybe that's why some people don't feel the need to tip. (It doesn't excuse it, but it might help to explain it).

But good grief, don't mess with people's food just because they didn't tip last time! Like, what if the wife is a great tipper but the husband isn't?

8. The difference is that (correct me if I'm wrong) in the states the hourly rate is very low and the tips makes up for a huge part of their income. It's a means of ensuring or encouraging a good job.

So over in the states if a good job has been done and you don't tip at least reasonable it would be very unfair.

Over here yes our people are already getting paid well so it's more for when they do a better than good job.

Over here you can get crap service and you still have to pay. I agree with american way and service is an incentive to be paid well. As long as the customer isn't a mungrel.

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Easier said then done. Tipping delivery boys is equal to tipping waiters/waitresses. It's extremly rude and disrespectful to not tip.

With high gas prices, not tipping a delivery boy means they basically loose money by bringing the food. When their entire pay is based off tips, they get extremly pissed when someone doesn't tip.

I worked in a real restaurant for 9 years, and believe me, people remember those who don't tip. I have plenty of horror stories regarding people's food I wouldn't even share here.

10. I think some people don't tip well because they don't know the guy/girl and don't really give a rip if he's happy with the tip or not. I always tip pretty well.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I worked at a joined Pizza Hut/KFC and we had a "list" [spoken ominously] but it was places we refused to deliver to anymore. I can, however, honestly say that most of the employees were not above screwing with the food when someone treated them like crap consistently.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I tip good service. I give a small tip for blah service. Lets them know that I know what tipping is, but they have to work for it. If I get good service, I tip very well.

I used to deliver pizzas in the crappy area of town, and had people that would wait for 7 cents of change. Asshats...

13. im not cheap im just broke as he!!

14. OK, I understand that the hourly rate over there sux (min wage is about $7 p/hr), but if everyone tips, how does that encourage
    good service? Chances are they will be tipped whether the service is average, good or great. To my way of thinking tipping IF the service is exceptional encourages better service.
    Over here, if the service is crap, you don't tip. If the service is good you give a little etc.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    In this circumstance, I go get my own pizza.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This would be the logical thing to do.

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Then you just went from "no tip" to "no service".

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So that makes you just as much of an a-hole as the guy that tips you 10 cents.

bc

19. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    If people say they don't tip/barely tip, they obviously never worked in the food service industry. I'm not talking McD's or BK, I'm talking actual restaurants. I did for a summer, you bust your butt. Most people think all a waiter does is take your order and bring you your food, then sit around in the back doing nothing. Far from it. Here's a list of things I had to do, besides taking orders and bringing out food & drinks.

-Prepare desserts, coleslaw, soups and salads. Not just side salads, but the dinner ones as well.
    -Clean the kitchen area.
    -Clean tables.
    -Refill ice containers.
    -Restock/prepare any food items.
    -Restock napkins, straws, coffee filters, etc.
    -Roll silverware.
    -Sing the lame Birthday song.
    -Prepare the "to go" boxes. (Fold them properly, load them with all the necessary "to go" items.)
    -Expo your orders (adding proper side items/garnishes).
    -Take out the garbage.

You do all this while waiting on 3-5+ tables, all day. You honestly never stop. And what do you make for all your hard work? About half minimum wage. Plus whatever money the customer deems you worthy of getting.

I tip very well, about 20% for good service. I'm 21, I'm not rich, but I know what these people are putting up with and I know they deserve it. If you don't have the money to give a decent tip, you don't have the money to eat at a restaurant. Same with bars and same with delivery men/women. If you have a $16 pizza order and you're too cheap to tell them "it's all set" when you hand them a $20, just go pick it up yourself.

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

20 years ago when I used to be in college, my roommates would tip the pizza guy with a few bucks, a beer, and a "smoke."

Our pizza started showing up about 15 minutes after we ordered it. Piping hot.

One of the delivery guys told me they would practically fight each other over the order when they saw where it was headed. :p

Be good to your food service workers, but maybe not to that extreme.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021