Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why are pickguards so much more expensive than they should be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narcopolo, Oct 21, 2005.

1. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i want a p pickguard, but those things cost way too much. anybody know where to find a rather cheap one?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Well, you do get what 'cha pay for :meh:

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ebay maybe is your best bet...

4. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i don't see how there can be much variance in quality for a plastic plate . . .

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Maybe not the plastic itself. But have you ever replaced a guard? There is no such thing as a direct replacement. Only close. Be prepared to trim.

6. i dunno, i liked the suggestion to just get a clear pickguard, then get colored paper or any picture or something and set it under the pickguard, trim the paper, and them presto! new pickguard...you can change it whenever you want!

7. Sounds like a good "poor-man's" plan!

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It's infinitely cheaper.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't buy that you get what you pay for justification. $25 for a pickguard (more if you want "tort") is robbery. It's not like they shape the PG or drill the holes by hand.

Of course, it's a free country. I can choose not to buy.

10. They cost $50 and everyone pays it because no one wants white.

Hey that gives me a good idea...anyone who replaces your pickguard: I'll take it off your hands and even let you pay for shipping! Then I'll spray paint them black and sell them back for $25 each!

11. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Its funny---I have always thought pickguards to be extremely inexpensive. You can completely change the look of your bass for a small bit of cash. I just purchased a Fender 62 reissue P Tort p/g for $42. That is very inexpensive for what it does to the instrument, in my opinion. Besides, sell the one you are replacing, and you'll probably pay for half the new guard.

Oh, yeah, the P bass pickup is huge, hence the higher price.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Where exactly is your justification that they are too expensive? Because you think so? :eyebrow:

If you really think they are grossly overpriced, then start your own pickguard company and put everyone else out of business.

13. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    how many PGs actually get sold that you think that someone could make a living?

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    That's what I think and you don't tell me what to do sonny.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I find them rather reasonably priced, especially considering that they're made by hand if yours is being copied, and there is a high chance of ruining a guard. Copying isn't foolproof, so I'd be happy to spend $40-50 to make sure someone spends the time to do it right.

16. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    It's like buying a tie.

You can get a cheap one, but it won't look as nice as a more expensive one.

17. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    If a LOT of people are willing to pay that much for one, then i guess the price is right. If someone is willing to pay 40 bucks for one, then it is worth 40 bucks...to them atleast. I can see how much it changes how a bass looks and if people are willing to spend A LOT of money for a piece of wood on the top of a bass that is mostly for looks, then you can definately justify spending 40 bucks on a pickguard.

Bottom line is, if you think they cost way to much, then dont buy one.

18. They are a ripoff

I just had to buy one for a project of mine and about £32 including shipping or not for a gold WD pickguard is a complete laugh...the only reason I didn't get a piece of gold plastic and make my own is because I can't be arsed - thats why pickguards are so expensive if you ask me - because the guitar companies know the value of a pre cut pickguard when they know the customer could just as easily spend what...$5-ish on a piece of plastic to cut to size?

its all about convenience... :meh: :scowl:

19. ya cud make one urself?

or buy a bass with no pickguard but that would be slightly more expensive :meh:

20. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've made wooden pickguards myself with good result to avoid exactly this problem. I don't see how anyone can make an argument for new pickguards NOT being overpriced... they're just ridiculously expensive. Granted, it's what people will apparently pay, so I try to go Ebay or DIY to avoid spending $40 on <$1 worth of plastic