Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why are sadowsky basses so $$$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grinx, Nov 4, 2003.

1. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    i have been reading a bit about them, they seem to simply be better copies of jazz basses. the bridges look like any other bridge, tuners look the same, body looks the same (granted, some have fancier woods, but not all of them). i figure some of them have sadowsky preamps on board....but they have 21-fret, bolt-on necks and look like most other generic jazz basses (from pictures, never seen one in person)

give me the low-down. WHY are they as popular as they are considering how pricey they are?

thanks

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    really hard to describe.

best way to "get it" is to play one.

f

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a Jazz Bass but properly made.
    You need to play it, that's all.

4. where is nino-brown on this one lol.

- w00t

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Roger has built a reputation for delivering the feel and sound of the best Fender instruments with better build quality and better service and support. If he stopped delivering on that his cred would drop like a rock.

I got a chance to play a bunch of his basses and when i picked up the first one all I could say was "oooooooooooohhhhhhhh". While I never questioned his pricing, since they arent the most expensive basses around, I got a hands on baptism in Sadowsky Mystique.

If you never wanted the perfect pre-CBS Fender, and you don't care what those basses cost, then there is no way to explain it.

6. I can't comment on the way they play, but as far as aesthetics go-I love them. Just like I love warriors or Jerzy Drozd for they're decadence I love these for their ELEGANCE. There's a timeless beauty that just makes you feel like when you're playing a Sadowsky you are one bad cat.

7. Many luthiers make bolt-on basses and charge the same if not more than Sadowsky. Just because Roger choose a slimmer jazz-style body does not make the bass worth less than another style.

It does what the best Fender does and more. It feels great, balances perfectly, has a tone that works for anything and always cuts thru. Add the fact that the workmanship is flawless and the service sets a benchmark in any industry and I think a Sadowsky is one of the best values available.

Oh, and you do really have to play one! ;)

Jeff

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Right now I'm thinking about which one of my 4 Sadowsky's I'm going to bring to rehearsal tonight.

That's where I am. ;):D

9. :) get um' nino, lol. rock on.

- w00t

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Frankly, I've owned everything from Fodera to MTD. I only play and record with Sadowsky. The best tone, light weight, perfect feel, best customer service. How much is your art worth??!!

Rob

11. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    are there any dealers?

or do i have to drive/fly to NYC to see how they feel?

12. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Go to http://www.sadowsky.com
    Roger has a couple showcases in the U.S. but that's it. He will sell you a bass on 7 day approval. Everything is explained on his website or call him during the week

Rob

13. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    wow, big leap of faith. it's like how carvin used to be, but 4x the dinero

and i liked my carvin bass....

thanks info. would be nice to try before buying something in that price range

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

No leap of faith. If you don't like it, get your coin back. I doubt you'll return it. Ask Will Lee, Marcus Miller, Jason Newstead(18 of them) and a bunch of us on this forum. The best sounding, easiest to use preamp on the market, IMO!!

Rob

15. Sadowsky has a 7 day money back trial which is very fair.

I echo the positive sentiments above. I've been playing guitar for about 23 years and bass for about 6. When I grab I guitar or bass 99 out of 100 times it's one of my Sadowskys. If I had to choose my desert island axe, it would be a Sadowsky.

Check the reviews on his website at the Sadowsky Library near the bottom of the page. But play one and record with it. It may not be worth it to you. But me, since 1990 I've purchased 5 Sadowsky instruments.

And I'm g.a.s.-ing for more but promised myself to hold off until I buy/build a house next year. Yes, I know, I'm not holding my breath on this one.

16. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    if i already have a preamp (alembic f1x), do i need to get a sadowsky preamp? do you generally just use one preamp, not onboard AND outboard?

can you get them with active AND passive pickups at the same time? if you get active, does that automatically mean you get the sado preamp, or is that additional?

thanks again

yum
    http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/3963.html

17. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I bought a Sadowsky bass because I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about. I conclude that the fuss is unquestionably justified.

My Sadowsky had an alder body and marado fretboard. Excellent for fingerstyle but not my choice for slap--so I sold it. :(

However, that bass was as perfect as a Jazz-style bass could get! With the exception of the reverse balance control, there's nothing that I would change or want to improve.

Are Sadowsky basses worth the money? It all depends on how much quality you want. No matter where you look, you're going to spend at least $3K-$4K for a high-end bass that's made right.

I await my next Sadowsky. ;)

18. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    JR, i'm in raleigh, you?

19. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

All Roger's basses have an active preamp onboard which can be deactivated to run your bass passive. All bass amps have a preamp section in them. I have a demeter preamp along with a QSC power amp. This has nothing to do with the controls on whatever bass you play. It's all a matter of choice at that point. Some play bass strictly passive, some active. I prefer to have bass and treble and my fingertips. You can't do that when running passive, ala Fender.

Rob

20. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    so do you set your outboard preamp flat on B/M/T and just control it with the onboard pre?

sorry if this sounds stupid. i'm not a knob tweeker. when something works, i mark it with tape so i don't forget, then i get back to making noise