Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are short scale basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fluke, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    generally thought of as sounding more similar to uprights, when a upright bass is much LONGER than any electric? And i am aware of the acoustic/physical effects of having a shorter string tuned to the same pitch, and the fact that physical science vs. instrument design is often paradoxal (as in the effects of wood hardness vs tone, body resonance vs. sustain etc.) but this paradox strikes me as particularly interesting-that shorter strings can lead in the same tonal direction as longer? Does anybody have a good explanation for this? Or am i wrong to assume that they are thought to sound more similar? (i for one think they do)

2. I've never heard that before, that short scales sound like uprights. I've heard that the Ashbory sounds like an upright, but that it was due to the silicone strings.

In fact, none of the short scales I've played sound like uprights. Or maybe I'm just out of the "generally thinking" loop. :D

3. I suppose I can sort of see it because the old Gibsons (EB-0, 1, 2) delivered a lot of "thump" like an upright but they were pretty much devoid of the any of the upright's other tonal characteristics.