1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are some people so reluctant to learn to read?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Don't believe we did.

2. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    YES!

3. I think I got 4 or 5 hrs in. :D

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I have a couple trombone method books I bought so i could move up to them. I have some basic trombone exercises that I got from Jeff when I attended PSOM. He uses one particular book a lot (can't remember the name) and says that horn music is more melodic than anything you'd find in a bass method book, IIRC.

I also bought a book of Bach cello suites, which are also bass clef, but that's for another time in the (hopefully near) future.

5. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Since the points that I raise about avoiding metronomes doesn't "click" with some guys, then these people should put their music into whatever method and principles of practice that they believe in! Their future in music rests upon what and how they play and learn and if they think that I am wrong in what I say, then ignore my comments!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you don't have to spell it out to me, dude. i can tell good advice from bad. it's other kids or students on here who don't know any better who need the disclaimer.

anyway, i should probably start packing for my gig tonight. not my biggest gig ever, but we get about 1000 people at this gig who come out and listen to us play oldies from the 50's, 60's and 70's. it's all mostly very simple music that most decent players could easily handle, and not trying to act like a bigshot but it pays pretty well for a local gig, and i get other gigs with them that pay even better than that.

i beat out many other bassists for the gig, including many who have more playing skills than me, and do you know why? three reasons: i can sing leads and easily pick out harmonies, and i come up with bass lines that aren't mere recreations of the original songs but work great in the context of this band. but the main reason i got it is because i could read better than anyone else who tried out and they needed someone who could read. not trying to be elitist, just stating fact. reading got me a good paying regular gig that would have been closed to me otherwise, and kept me doing what i love long after most of my friends have had to quit because they got too old to be considered relevant on the alt-rock scene i used to be a part of.

and unless you're one of the lucky .0000001% of those who make it to rock star status, there comes a point where all you have left is your talent, and if you love to play music like i do and still want to do it for a living, reading skill that some on here consider unimportant is the ONLY thing still keeping me working regularly doing what i love. singing and being able to come up with my own parts are great skills to have as well, but without reading, i'd be singing and playing bass to the wall right now.

7. I see what you did there.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    btw, jeff, it's not that i have anything against your metronome stance. actually, i'm starting to come around to your way of thinking on it because it's not nearly as 100% anti-metronome as your words sometimes make it sound. but every time you participate in a thread, somehow or another the metronome always comes up and ends up dominating the thread. and i just see the reading music issue as being far more important than whether you use a metronome or not and would hate to see it diluted with yet another metronome argument.

9. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009

Back to OP

That's great, but i'm not even the right age to be gigging yet anyways. Having no need for it now, I am reluctant to learn it.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    are you two married or something? let him speak for himself.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    cool story bro.

12. Tama

Tama

Nov 19, 2008
    Bugtussle
    I'm just a beginner and bass is a second instrument for me. Maybe someday I'll learn to read.
    I do know that learning basic reading for drums has helped me learn grooves that normally I may not have learned by just "listening"

Here is something that may have already been said ( I just got to this thread) when I first started drums at 40 years old (yeah I know) my teacher required me to learn basic reading and many "foundations" I will call them.
    At first it seemed tedious, but I'm glad he did.
    I feel like now I can get further than I ever would have without these requirements.
    No doubt it would help anyone, I just see it as a personal choice and how comfortable one is with his/her situation.
    Cheers, Dave

13. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    The problem with players not wishing to improve rests entirely upon the shoulders of famous musicians, magazines, internet websights that do not tell players to excel in music. Like this or not, most of the guys who are respected don't know very much about music at all even if they are respected as bass players-these are two different things.

The second reason is that music magazines are not run by musicians of any real musical capability. Magazine bosses generally fall into the average to lower average players who also have a skill at publishing, editing and writing. They simply do not know what to tell guys to do to improve and they often hire guys who know as little as they do to tell people what to work on.

Listen! Tab, metronomes, rock classes aren't it. Reading is! harmony is! Facts of music are! But these things sure do not go over well with the non-dedicated-to-music group.

Reading changes lives! I could teach every here how to improve their reading significantly in ONE LESSON! Then they would try to follow the principles in future lessons that they took. But even knowing that there are guys like me (and a couple of others who can help people to read and play better) most guys simply aren't interested in musical things and would rather avoid them. Hence the feel-good lessons and classes that are popular these days. It is much nicer to be stroked than to work.

14. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    I tried not to say it to your gigging story.

15. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Nobody is acting self-important and pompous. We are saying that if you do not read music nor take the time to improve your playing via solid musical methods, then you aren't going to improve much as a player. If this seems hard, it is still the truth! In my case, i simply wanted guys like yourself to know this. What you do with this info is up to you.

16. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Little in music is as effective in helping bass players as reading trombone music. In fact, I am the first guy to ever popularize this concept. Richard Appleman's Chord Study for Electric Bass was originally my idea. But he ran with it and did a fine job with it.

17. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow

interesting....i played for the governor's inaugural gala when i was your age.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    when i was 14, i wasn't quite doing the governor's inaugural gala, but i had a little rock band and we did quite a few gigs. i also was performing quite a lot in the school bands.

19. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Your reference to orchestras, recording situations etc enters into the professional realm. I have no comment about what actually exists in the world of music because this is an artful use of a device. I rarely have any opinion about art because it is what it is.

But academics is an area that most people are ignorant about. Some guys here state that they know their stuff, but I can read between the lines and I know that they actually don't know as much about music as they tell you that they know. Metronomes have no place in a practice room because they insist that you perform instead of learn. If you want to develop good time, then practice written music slowly, count out loud (if you need to) to subdivide the rhythms, fix your mistakes and recognize the canyon-sized gap between performing and practicing. There are other things to think about, but this should be a good start for you. Good luck

20. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    i had to read to do that gig :bag:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.