Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why are strings so expensive

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fat-k, Apr 5, 2005.

1. fat-k

fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    :hyper: why do decent strings cost like 40 bucks?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    IMO they're too expensive, but there are some good cheap ones - especially if you need them dirt cheap, check out the D'adrio (cant spell) twin packs at MF - comes out to like a little over 10 bucks a pack.

3. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Yesterday i bought one 6 strings set Ken Smith it costs 60$ :)

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Because they can be.

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I buy Smith 5 string sets from MF @ $14.99/set. OK strings at a great price.

6. Gomex

Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    Australia
    I use DR hi beams @ $105Aus for a 6 string set. It sux that I can only afford to change them twice a year but they are DRs and they easily last that long

7. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You may need to define "expensive" or "decent." There are many good sets of strings that are less than $40.

Tom

8. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I pay $25-$30 for High-Beams and I definatly get my moneys worth with how long they last. I put some on in october and I'm going to get another set in a couple of days. I got 6 months out of one set, that's roughly twice as long as most strings. I probably should have changed them a little earlyer but you still get a good 4-5 months out of a set if you treat them right. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. I do agree some strings are pretty outragious. Anything above $40 is too much, If you pay that much for strings they better last you a long time and they better sound awesome.

9. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I used to use Rotosound strings before I switched to the DR Chromes, and the Rotosounds were only around $20 or so at GC.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The reason why strings are so expensive is that bass strings ar just harder to make. A guitar string is a core of a determined size, and one wrap of a determined size. Now a bass string is a larger core, and multiple wraps of sometimes varying sizes. And they are quite a bit longer. It is a lot harder to wrap a bass string in a stable way with a couple of layers, instead of just one. More material and more work equals more money out of your pocket. If you want cheap strings, save up some money and buy bulk, if you can.

11. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    \
    Skjold Design will soon be offering our own strings made to our specifications , they will be sold direct and I hope to offer them for around 20.00. Strings are like soda at a fast food place, inflated for pure profit.

Pete

12. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am not sure there is any reason why strings are any more than 10 bucks a pack-They can't cost more than a dollar a pack to manufacture. But for what it is worth, webstrings.com are decent and cheap, and Carvin strings are rebranded La Bellas.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Because the string cartells have a monpoly on the string trade and they know they've got you by the balls. What are you going to do, put GUITAR strings on your bass?

14. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    When i use flats they run from 40-60 bucks. Its worth it, they last for a while, and sound great.

15. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    But if the cost in the labor to produce, then how come there is such a disparity in prices? Sets will go from $10 to $60, yet they all require essentially the same labor to manufacture.

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    For great strings at a reasonable price, definitely try some SIT PowerWounds. I absolutely love those strings. bassguitarstrings.us sells them for good prices.

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, some of that is brand affiliation. Also, materials can acutally differ greatly.

18. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's because they're made from gas

19. Here your basic set of 5 starts at $65. I wish I could pay $25 or even $40..........

Most of the good strings you guys are talking about only cost about $25. That sounds pretty good I thought.
    :bassist:

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Over in the states I pay $18.50 for my LaBella's, $18 for D'Addario's and I buy my flats used :)

You don't HAVE to play the most expensive strings out there, and you save a LOT of money buying online.