1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why are the 08 MIA fenders so good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Sep 26, 2008.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Does anybody know why Fender got to make such an amazing instruments again?

Up untill now I would have never considered buying a MIA Fender.

The old ones are to expensive, the newer ones never really amazed me for the price they costed.

Untill I've played a few MIA 08 jazzes. These are amazing. I can honestly say nothing bad about them and they all were just as good.

Does anybody know why? Was there a change in management or something? What is the explanation for this change?

I really really hope they can keep this up!

Good work fender!

2. I heard somewhere that their new president is actually a bass player and not some suit that they must have had for a while.

3. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    I heard that the stock fenders now have that big routed hole under the the pickguard , if is that so , is not that well made as the old ones

4. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    They look well made, sound great and priced reasonably. What more could you ask for!:)

5. runmee

runmee

Sep 1, 2008
    What does it mean MIA 08

6. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    Made In America 2008 model.

7. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't really think the quality of the instrument is defined by the location of the CNC positioning hole.

8. yep they've been doing that since the mid 90s on MIA basses, and it is very annoying (can't remove pickguard)
    all in all it is very good for a production instrument, I have 2 that sound and play great after some minor tweaks, but I have been assembling my own now with parts from Warmoth since I have greater choices

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I can't honestly say that that's a concern. Unless you want to go Jaco, what goes under the pickguard isn't that big a deal.

10. I've played a couple of these through various rigs, and have not been disappointed by one so far. Setup, tone, feel, and playability out of the box is impressive.

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    They got rid of the S-1 switching, which should never have been there in the first place.
    High mass bridge and lighter tuning machines.
    I think they're using better quality maple in their necks, too. The grain looks much better.

I just wish their stock pups had a little more output, but c'est la vie

12. Interesting explanation. Recently acquired an MIA P, and it's quite good for a large volume production instrument; shows lots of thoughtful touches in fit & finish. They may have hired a quality consultant, may have a serious plugger at the helm..dunno.

13. runmee

runmee

Sep 1, 2008
    What about mexico made basses?

14. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    It was this kind of info I was looking for.

It has to be something in that direction. They really started to make basses to be proud of again.

I agree it would have been better if there were nog holes under the pickguard, but I can live with that

I think they are building some amazing instruments. Same for squier.

Hows the mim line doing? I haven't played any recent MIM fenders. Has their quality improved like the MIA and squiers? And what about the vintage MIA's?

15. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are you perhaps thinking of Squier? I've heard that rumor a number of times on TalkBass.

Now if both Squier and Fender were being run by bassists, I'd say that bodes well for we bassists.

Next, we need to get a bassist in charge of Gibson! :hyper:

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My personal opinion is that Fender finally got tired of being kicked in the backside by the competition. They really needed to step it up a notch or two, and they certainly did. It's about time. (required IMO) IMO

17. Well, I have a '07 American standard precision and I think it was worth the money...
    And now I replaced the stock pick ups with a DiMarzio Will Power and it has became a cucumber ("pepino", spanish word to tell that something is very good) :p

18. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    YES PLEASE!!:hyper:

19. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    The only thing I'm not sold on with the new ones is the tuners. For me, when I look at the back of a Fender headstock I need to see 4 flat metal plates and 4 giant metal cogs. Thankfully they have the classic tuners on so many of their other lines basses.

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The new head of Fender's bass department is a bass player, and forced them to sink some cash into making the product better.
    Now, as for Squier, they are Fender, just the budget line.
    Same guy runs that too, as its one department.

Can't remember his name offhand, but he is responsible for the MIA 08's, Sqiuer Delux Active V's, Vintage Moidified, Classic Vibe, and he's been tightening up QC across the bass range altogether.

Gibson just need to get anyone with common sense high up the rankings.