Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are the new Ashdown EB combos so cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erik_hammarlund, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Lord knows they *look* promising on paper--$280 gets you a 180w 12" combo, and for $300 you get a 15". I'm new to bass, i've heard good things about Ashdown, and I'm tempted to buy one.

but I also found out that the *old* EB combos cost more like $400 and i'm wondering where the savings are. $280 for 180 watts is Behringer territory and they're not supposed to be stellar on the reliability front.

Before I shell out for one, any comments?
    p.s. I'm not a huge ebay fan--don't know enough yet not to get screwed.

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    All of the new Ashdown product, with the exception of the ABM series, is now made in China. The quality is as good as it ever was, but the prices are much more affordable now. Makes it easier for people on a limited budget to own Ashdown now.
    GEEK

3. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    Here in Belgium (Europe), all Ashdown product have become a lot cheaper (the abm 500's prices dropped 400 euros!)...

Givin' this, I hesitated no more and ordered the ABM 500 evo II RC + ABM 410 cab

Can't wait 'till it's here!!

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Being the owner of a brand new made in China Ashdown MAG amp, I confirm that the quality is excellent. And the drop on the price allowed to get an excellent amp at an unbeatable price.

Cheers,
    JL

5. Sounds like there's a new Ashdown combo in my near future.

I will play a 4 string for the foreseeable future (by the time I'd move to 5 strings, I'd have a new amp). Can I get away with the 12" version? Or is that a stupid place to save $20? Anyone heard them both?

6. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Where? How? Can be ordered? Is it new or second hand price? Give us details :meh:

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Considering the huge difference in price :rolleyes: ;) ... How about going for the sound you prefer?
    The 12" would be a weeny bit less loud, but it will have a more "defined" tone. The 15" moves more air=louder, but is also prone to a more muddy sound.
    Your call, but if you have the $20, buy your fav sound.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Here's a good link to buy Ashdown stuff in Europe at an interesting price :

http://www.musik-produktiv.de

That's where I just purchased my MAG-300R head and my MAG-210T cab for a total amount of 696 EUR, shipping and COD fees included.

Hope this helps,
    JL

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Bonjour Jean....boucoup de soleil a Geneve.

We have the same chain in Switzerland. That was an excellent price!

10. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    nous aussi à paris... bcp de soleil ! :cool: