1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why are there more used Js than Ps?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fermata, Feb 11, 2019.

1. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I've been casually GAS-ing around the classifieds, Reverb, GC, etc., and it seems to me that there are quite a few more used Jazz basses available than Precisions.

Any ideas why this is? (Is it a sign that I should get a J-bass?)

2. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I've seen it both ways, at least where I live in the Bay Area. Sometimes there's more P's than J's. Every so many months/years trends seem to move in one direction then back to another.

3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Because in some quarters, the P is seemingly riding a wave of popularity right now, perhaps? Don't worry, time and tide wait for no man, so you'll be able to get one cheap as chips soon enough...

4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I joined TalkBass in 2010, and the P-bass was already riding that wave and can't say I've seen it stop between then and now. It's like a Gibson J45 or Martin D28. It will always be one of the, if not THE most popular bass for whatever reason you decide in your mind.

pjbassist, BassGeekJack and alanolynn like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I don't have much book learnin' but i reckon it's because a heck of a lot of folks are selling their Jazz basses and the Precision folks are holdin' onto theirs.
    Some might even say all that there "The P bass is the best!" talk is more'n talk, it's the honest truth.
    Might be a sign you should buy a Precision.

Ghastly, basted, BassGeekJack and 4 others like this.
  6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I joined in 2003. If the resurgence in popularity was underway at that point, it was still relatively early on.

They may have never stopped being a classic, but they weren't nearly as popular then as they are now in my recollection.

Clapper, petrus61, PSPookie and 2 others like this.
  7. Where you at? You could always have one shipped to you.

There's a decent amount of both in my classifieds, in Fender anyway. For the squiers, it's all VM jazz, the only Ps are affinities.

8. It is the same thing in my area. It took me a few months a used Fender P-Bass even though Kijiji had a few Jazz basses. I wondered if it was just me but it seems it might be normal...

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Used Jazz or Precision...go for it!
    I just put this PJ on layaway Friday.
    Bought it two years ago but had to return it after only two weeks...financial problems.
    Seeing it at Guitar Center for $250 less than the new one hanging right next to it was a sign!
    It's a tone monster and incredibly comfortable.
    Looks great, too!
    20190207-165421.

10. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I'm not sure where I read it, but I'm sure I've seen in multiple places that the Jazz has generally sold in higher numbers, so there are simply more of them out there.

howlin, Staccato, roccobass and 3 others like this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Guys marry their P’s, and flirt with J’s. so a bunch of them are single.

327, rd2rk, lexefx and 18 others like this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    a good P has far more sonic personality just with 1 PU, it sounds great but some feel it can be too boomy, whereas a J's mid PU is too often generic, it's a mellower bass sound yet works better for many. the J bridge usually has a wider range which I find very tasty in many modes, combine the 2 J PUs and it has even more options but pales compared to dialing in a P PU which is why I prefer PJs. I'll bet a lot of Js are sold to players starting out thanx to their popularity and looking better than a P, but then the honeymoon thrill starts wearing off and those newer players getting used to hearing more tones being available on other models. then they may have to make an economic choice with the J going bye bye.

13. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Because people buy more J's????

Not rocket surgery

14. I could also hazard a few more guesses.

Jazz Basses appeal more to beginners; thinner neck, more attractive offset body, two pickup as opposed to one (must be twice as good syndrome), more versatile (maybe?) and so on.

If my hypothesis is correct more Jazz Basses are sold than PBasses of which many end up with those just learning to play bass thinking it can't be all that hard to do compared to a guitar.

Those buyers end up quitting for whatever reason and so the shiny but not quite new Jazz Bass goes up for sale somewhere many with a 15-20w 1x8" amp, cord, and strap included.

Now, I may be onto something here or I could be totally full of :poop: but that's how I came by mine. :D

15. I love it. A
    At 250 off, it's a good come up if I ever saw one. Especially with that 70s j neck

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. Cause they bought a P

basted likes this.
  17. Well, I might be a case study. In the past 3 years I bought 2 Ps (and a JMJ Mustang, does that count) and sold a J.

18. One thing is that the word 'jazz' sounds better than precision. I sold my p bass & bought a jazz. But I realized the jazz just does not have the sound I like, so, sold it and am back to a p.

pjbassist likes this.
  19. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I think there are just more Jazz basses than P basses in general.

B-Lo and murphy like this.
  20. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not a scratch on it.
    Still has the Fender 9050 CLs I put on it two years ago. Maybe someone bought it and never learned to play it and just kept it in its case.

soulman969 and JeezyMcNuggles like this.